Dog DNA Tests-Which Brand? General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by RunswithCatahoulas, Jan 3, 2019.

1. RunswithCatahoulas

RunswithCatahoulas New Member

Name:
    Kate

Dog DNA Tests-Which Brand?

I would (eventually) like to get all my dogs dna tested. I was wondering what brands people had used and if they were happy with them.

I’m looking at the Embark tests. Some of my dogs are catahoula cur (louisiana leopard dog) so I’m not sure if all tests have that, but I think the Embark did when I checked.

I’ve never had an animal dna tested so feel free to share your results/experience!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I'm not sure whether you have been on here long enough to view the Members Only forum - at the bottom of the listed Forums. The most recent forum is my experience using the Wisdom Panel 2 test - which I won in an online competition!
    The latest issue is Wisdom 3, which claims to have a 300 breed database, you would have to ask whether it covers Catahoulas, otherwise you are only likely to get a result which gives you the breeds that they were descended from.
    I was disappointed to get very little info on health matters - my boy has two fairly major autoimmune conditions, but the only health comments concerned weight control.
    We have a knowledgeable US member who breeds APBT's, and uses Embark. Her Embark results are considerably more detailed than this, with far more info on colour inheritance and possible health matters. I will try going @Bulldogs4Life and see if she responds.
  4. RunswithCatahoulas

RunswithCatahoulas New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Thanks for your reply Carole. I hadn’t seen that forum- I’ll go check it out now.

The health info (and also the relative finder) is what drew me to Embark. Of course the price point is a little off putting, as I’d like to eventually have all the dogs tested.

I’m really interested to see if mine are related as they were all from the same area but different litters.
  5. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    I had a DNA test done on two of my dogs. It was a test we ordered through Royal Canin. The first test seemed ok, my dog seemed to fit all the breeds listed. The second test however made absolutely no sense. I can’t see any of the breeds my dog was listed as mixed with in him at all. He looks like a small lean yellow lab and it came back with Chow, and a lot of other random breeds that looked nothing like him.