Dog got the wobbles Questions

Discussion in 'Miniature Pinscher' started by Angus69, May 22, 2017.

1. Angus69

Angus69 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson

Dog got the wobbles

Hi Folks. I have not been on here for a while, got a bit to busy. My little Minpin (Delta) has a problem that has come on over the last few weeks, bit hard to pick up on at first but seems to be getting worse She is quite happy & eating well can run & play quite ok, but we have noticed that she has lost the ability to jump into lounge chairs has to pull her self up into them. she spends a lot of time laying along the top of a lounge chair watching what going on along the street & lets us know if anyone sneezes in the street.She could jump onto the chair from the floor before, but now has to climb into the chair & pull herself onto the arm of the chair then pull herself up onto the back of the chair & has trouble balancing till she lays along the top of the chair. She can still run & jump without any problems around the house & out side running quite fast around our top yard, her judgment is good, she can go close to things not running into anything around the yard. I first noticed her about two weeks ago she was sitting on my knee & her head was wobbling from side to side, She used to jump onto my knee when I sit sideways at the table & sit on my knee, she still can do that sometimes, but quite often I have to grab her or she will wobble & fall of my knee. I have noticed when she is sitting on the couch that her head wobbles a good couple of inches from side & when she gets up quick she is a bit wobbly on her feet & steps side ways to get her balance. She still runs after her ball around the house dodging around chairs & other furniture without hitting anything. It seems to be wen she is not concentrating on anything. But quite alert she seems ok.I am wondering if anyone out there has encountered anything like that with their Minpin, As it is a bit worrying,I haven't taken her to the vet yet, I wanted to know if anyone had experienced anything like that before. Her immunizations are all up to date & she is not saw in any of her joints & no damage that I can see to any part of her body. I hope someone might be able to help. Thank you.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi Gilbert,
    I'm afraid that you will need a vet to examine Delta. The problem could be skeletal, or possibly vestibular syndrome which is affecting her balance. You don't say how old she is, but I would try and prevent her from doing too much running and climbing activity until you have a diagnosis. Please let us know what the vet says. Good luck.
  4. Angus69

Angus69 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson
    Delta is 18 month old. Tonight she was sitting on my knee at the computer & when she went to get down she she usually just slides of my knee to the floor tonight she lost control of her legs & body & laid with her legs spread out sideways & her head wobbling around I supported her till she gained balance she walked ok but seemed a bit frightened & wants to sit up against us for support. taking her to vet ion morning.
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    What a worry for you. I hope that the vet will have the answer and that it's not serious.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Gilbert - I tend to agree with Carole that it might be vestibular syndrome affecting Delta's balance, or it could be some sort of neurological problem.

Whatever it is I hope your vet can find it and sort it out so that Delta is back to her normal self again. I will keep my fingers crossed that everything is OK with her.
  7. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    It sounds like something going on in the nervous system. It could be anything from a trapped nerve, vestibular episode or many other things which is why it's important to get a definitive answer from a professional, ie your vet.

On saying that, it could even be something like an ear infection causing the problem so try not to worry too much, but vets sooner rather than later
  8. Angus69

Angus69 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hi. I have taken Delta to the vet & she had a seizure on his table so he was able to see what was happening first hand. he checked out her ears & there was an infection very low down in her left ear which he thinks has spread to her brain so he is treating that with an antibiotic spray. And then took blood & done blood tests that came up good, He then done a electrocardiogram on her heart that was good also,he suspects she has a infection at the bass of the brain coming from the ear infection Which we are treating with Prednil & Amoxyclav to clear that up. she is sleeping on the couch now & seems quite happy now So we will wait & see how things go.
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Well done for getting her to the vets. Ear infections are nasty things.

I hope your girl responds quickly and is fully recovered in no time at all x
  10. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Pleased that the vet was able to come up with a likely cause for the problems. I hope she will be completely back to normal very quickly.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    What a worrying time. Wishing Delta a speedy recovery.
  12. Angus69

Angus69 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson
    Thanks you all for the support you gave us, she has rested quietly on the couch this afternoon no more seizures after the vet looked at her, very early to tell yet but she is still quite bright especially being that sick. I will keep you posted on her progress.
  13. Angus69

Angus69 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson
    Hi. We took Delta back to the vet yesterday for her check up, He was very pleased with the way she is coming along, not back to her full self yet, but improving by the day. she can jump onto my knee ok now but still has to climb onto back of her chair sometimes. want's to run around up the back of our yard but gets tired quickly. I am sure she will make a full recovery from here.
  14. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Way to go, Delta. So pleased to hear that she's on the mend xx
  15. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Really good news - you must be so relieved.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Pleased to hear that Delta is getting better.
  17. Angus69

Angus69 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson
    Chris B and CaroleC like this.
    We were very relieved to get the report that we did. I though that it might effect her long term after being diagnosed with something like that, But seems to be getting back to her old self now. We had a couple of little accidents where she wet on the couch & in her bed, But the vet said it was only the tablets she is taking & said to cut the tablets down to every other day which we have & it hasn't happened again since then. She is as cheeky as ever this morning & wanting to play ball. Our vet & his wife are great dog lovers & Delta is the only Minpin he has to care for so he takes great care to get it right. So we are lucky in that respect