Dog parasites - can you help identify this one Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Hal, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Hal

Hal New Member

Name:
    Hal

Dog parasites - can you help identify this one

IMG_20140720_083152.jpg Hi Everyone, its my first post and I'm sorry to start on a sad note... I take much pride in the fact that my dog doesn't itch. But lately I noticed him becoming all itchy scratchy and further probing made me discover a strange organism boring holes into my dogs skin. I squeezed out the content and here's what I surprisingly found (See Attachment). My compound is grassy and its rainy season. Please I need help identifying the parasite as well as treatment advice. Thanks IMG_20140720_083336.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Hal likes this.
    It looks like a maggot or larvae egg, best to take your dog to a vet.
  4. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC and Hal like this.
    Hi Hal .... I don't know where you live but as you say its the rainy season I'm assuming it's somewhere tropical?

I could be wrong but the parasite in the photos looks suspiciously like the larvae of a Botfly or some similar species depending on which part of the world you live in. I've seen it before when many years ago my son arrived home from hitching hiking across Africa with maggots popping out of sores on his arms and legs. Our GP didn't know what it was and sent him off to the local hospital where an Australian doctor immediately identified the parasite as being the larvae of a sand fly which is peculiar to Malawi! My son was given some ointment to use on the sores and kill the larvae and within a week he was fine.

Hopes that helps!
  5. Hal

Hal New Member

Name:
    Hal
    Thanks very much. I live in the tropics and I'm a physician. I've never seen such on a human before. Yeah it looks like a larvae. Anyways I'm still gonna see the vet tomorrow. I just wanted to have some insight into the situation. I still welcome additional comments and ideas though.
  6. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I agree with the others Hal - hopefully a vet might be able to spot what it is straight away. Please update us when you find out!
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Never seen anything like this before, I would go to vets
  8. Hal

Hal New Member

Name:
    Hal
    Alright, thank you everybody. Vet visit tomorrow.
  9. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I'll be interested to hear what it turns out to be. I just hope it's something you only get in the tropics - looks horrible!
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Have you found out what the lava thing is yet.
  11. Hal

Hal New Member

Name:
    Hal
    Azz likes this.
    The Vet was equally surprised, he says he's gonna consult his colleagues. I'll give him a call tomorrow.
  12. Hal

Hal New Member

Name:
    Hal
    Azz likes this.
    Just back from the vets office. Diagnosis Myiasis from larvae of the botfly or domestic fly. Not uncommon in warm and damp environment. Egg may be spread by small rodents too. Treatment is to keep your dog cool and dry, manual extraction of established infestations and parenteral Ivermectin. Thanks all.
  13. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    So Barbara was right - she suspected it was Botfly larvae.

At least you now know for sure and how to treat it. Hope it clears up soon.
  14. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Glad you have found out what it was
  15. Hal

Hal New Member

Name:
    Hal
    Thanks everyone for your help.
  16. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Oh my days!! I thought fleas and ticks were bad. Glad you sorted it out quick Hal!
  17. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    why did i come back on this thread, was itching like mad after reading it last night and now im back at it.

glad your dog is ok,
  18. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Hi Hal .... Pleased to hear you managed to find out what the "bug" was. We'd love to see photos of your dogs and your life in the tropics!