doggie dna tests Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by smak, Aug 18, 2018.

1. smak

smak New Member

Name:
    Paul
    Azz likes this.

doggie dna tests

can anyone suggest a good and inexpensive doggie dna test?

is this something included with any kennel club or breed association by chance?

or just a completely unproductive venture altogether?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Azz likes this.
    What do you want to test for?
    For DNA health testing, the breed club would be the best place to make enquiries.
    Wisdom Panel seems to be the most popular for checking on breed purity.
    There is one Breedia member who has fairly full genetic profiling done on her American Pit Bull Terriers.
  4. smak

smak New Member

Name:
    Paul
    the works..

I plan to get a hip penntest, dna test, on top of shots and microchipping.

whatever I can determine from my little pup to make sure his needs are covered i'd like to provide.

also learning about his background is nice, i'll look into wisdom panel thanks!
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Wisdom Panel is more appropriate for finding out which breeds are in a crossbred dog.
    The more detailed test is called Embark - Embarkvet.com/dog, will also cover things like colour inheritance.
    It sounds as if you are more interested in health testing, in which case I would definitely ask the breed club which dna tests are adviseable for your breed, and where to obtain your swab kit. My girls dna certificates were issued by the University of California, Davis, (I didn't have them done, they came with her), but as new tests become available, they may be carried out by different universities.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @GsdSlave Will need some time to digest that one.
    It was all so simple in my day - Pass, Fail, Breeders Letter.
  8. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    What type of DNA test? Many different genes can be tested now days. Genetic diseases, morphology, coat color, coat type, ect. There are also breed test.

I personally use Embark because it covers a wide range of diseases (including those pertinent to my breed), coat color, other genetic traits, MHC diversity, genetic coefficient of inbreeding (level of homozygous genes), haplogroup and haplotype, inbreeding by chromosome. Will also provide breed information. It is usually considered kind of expensive, but it is less than what I would pay for genetic disease test alone so it actually works out well for myself.