Dogs Behaviour when pregnant Behaviour

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by kirstylou, Oct 3, 2007.

1. kirstylou

kirstylou New Member

Name:
    kirkie

Dogs Behaviour when pregnant

Please can anyone help i have a Border Collie x Whippet who is normally the most dopey and lovable creature in the world craves attention from anyone.

But.. i am 5 Months pregnant and he wont come near me at all i no they are good at sensing emotion and changes but i get the feeling he hates me.
    He never comes near me if it me and him left in the house alone he would rather be on his own that in the same room as me. Ive tryed fussing him and spoiling him more but nothing seems to work any advice anyone??

I would really appreciate some ideas

Kirsty
    x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. hayleybella

hayleybella New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    Welcome to dogsey :) and congratulations on your baby I'm 20 weeks now!

Can't give you any advice sorry sure someone ele will :)
  4. kirstylou

kirstylou New Member

Name:
    kirkie
    what pets do you have?
  5. thandi

thandi New Member

Name:
    Debs
    why do you feel he hates you?
    He probably senses something is up (you smell different for one thing!), and your behaviour (trying to over compensate and win back what you see as losing his affection) with him will be setting up a vicious cycle.
    I know it is difficult, but so try and ignore his behaviour as far as possible, and carry on as normal, much better you learn to do this now than when you have a baby to worry about and stuff looks worse then it is.
  6. hayleybella

hayleybella New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    A Parson Russell and a collie but not noticed any behavior changes in them..
    Have you changed your routine or anything like that since becoming pregnant?
  7. kirstylou

kirstylou New Member

Name:
    kirkie
    No Guys i dont think ive changed my routine in anyway, i have only just started to perhaps what you would say over compensate. Which yeah i guess i should stop quite quickly.

I Just feels that he hates me because he would follow me everywhere cuddle up on the sofa and now cant stand to be in the same room as me.
  8. thandi

thandi New Member

Name:
    Debs
    I know that 'problems' can magnify when you are pregnant - stuff you probably wouldnt give a second thought to can seem like the biggest disaster.

Things will calm down :) I think it is much better that your dog is learning to be a bit more independant of you now - just think how difficult it would be for your dog if it had to deal with less time from you once the baby arrives (congratulations btw :)), and felt pushed out.

your dog sounds lovely, and very smart too :)
  9. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    I had my old dog (RIP) when I was pregnant and he stayed away from me too.

Dog's cant 'Hate', they just sense, and your dog (and mine) just probably felt that as your hormones weren't as they are normally, something wasn't right, and many dogs sense this. Things will be back to normal once bubba is born, I'm sure.

Congrats :mrgreen:
  10. kirstylou

kirstylou New Member

Name:
    kirkie
    Thanxs Thandi, he is lovely and i would say to smart at times.

k
    x
  11. kirstylou

kirstylou New Member

Name:
    kirkie
    Thankx Malady, Isnt it funny what they can sense, fingers crossed hes ok when baby arrives, i'll try acting normal around him its hard when your comfort buddy avoids you like a bad smell. lol

k
    x
  12. melsgems

melsgems New Member

Name:
    Mel
    I have been pregnant twice since we had Zak and on each pregnancy Zak just left me alone... He used to play games with me like tug of war,ball, rough and tumble that kind of thing, it all stopped. He even stopped jumping up. It was as if he knew he had to be more gentle!! So don't look on it as him ignoring you may be he is just letting you have your own space while you keep his little brother/sister safe. Zak came round as soon as the babies were born. They do sense these things.....

Good luck with everything and let us know how your getting on

Mel and Zak