Dominant traits Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by witzendfarm, Apr 16, 2012.

1. witzendfarm

witzendfarm New Member

Name:
    Robert Smith

Dominant traits

Does anyone know for sure what traits ie colour, temprement etc are dominant in male and female dogs? In SBT which parent is most responsible for colour, or is it linked to sex of puppy?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kicksforkills

Kicksforkills New Member

Name:
    Kate
    I would say male dogs would be the more dominant.

I'd just google the rest lol
  4. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    :shock:
    No.
    Genetics is a highly complex science.
    You don`t get a mashup of the sire and dam - you get the result of the genes in their lines.
    Certain characteristics become more or less dominant according to genes carried by both animals.
  5. Kicksforkills

Kicksforkills New Member

Name:
    Kate
    I meant generally. Wasn't saying about genetics etc as I know nothing about it.
  6. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    What else do you think is the cause of colour, traits etc? That`s what the OP asked. :?
  7. Kicksforkills

Kicksforkills New Member

Name:
    Kate

I know but I wanted to contribute. Isn't that allowed? :(
  8. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    It depends, you will need to be more specific - sometimes colour in inherited in a dominant/recessive fashion, more often it's a much more complex interaction of many different genes and many different epigenetic signalling mechanisms.

Temprement is highly multifactorial, both genetically and from the environmental point of view.

No one parent is responsible - it depends on which dog is carrying the relevant genes? Some colour patterns are sex linked (in general), whether this is the case in SBT's you'll need to ask someone who knows about the genetic basis of colour inheritance (I know nothing about it) - Merlin's Mum on here pretty much knows it all :grin:
  9. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    I think you may be confusing "dominant" as in dominant personality traits, with the definition of "dominant" in terms of the inheritance pattern of dominant/recessive genes (which are nothing to do with dominance as a behaviour...) :grin:
  10. Kicksforkills

Kicksforkills New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Probably lol
  11. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
  12. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Your best bet for reliable staffie info would be to contact some one through the breed club. They will have experienced breeders who can help you out with info etc :)