Dutch Herders / Shepherds (Hollandse Herders) Questions

Discussion in 'Dutch Shepherd Dog' started by Alphatest, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz

Dutch Herders / Shepherds (Hollandse Herders)

Anyone know anything about this breed? Are there many in the UK? How do they differ compared to GSDs and the Malinois?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    This video made me think of Dutch shepherds the other day ,
  4. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    I love em, and I sorely want one!

My brindle girl looks VERY similar to one, and I have chatted with various peeps on tinternt who also have dogs who look very similar to Dutchies...whether they are or not, is anyones guess!

There are very few of them in the UK, they are often mixed with Belgian (malis) and the resulting litters are registered according to the colour (brindles are Dutch, sandy ones are Malis) They come in three coat types, short/wire and long (utterly beautiful) if you are on FB, search for the groups on there, some lovely pics on there of some stunning dogs.

I am determined to have a long haired one day, however they are a lot of work, and they really do need to have a job. Given that job tho, they make fantastic house dogs
  5. 5dog

5dog New Member

Name:
    alan
    We had a dutch shepherd working in our section until about 2 years ago, he was awesome on the bite and could flatten even the strongest of decoys, look at the one in the video and increase it by 50%, you might come somewhere close to Indy
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    THere are very few Hollandse Herders as they are correctly called in the UK. Ian Walshaw used to breed them, as well as Malinois and working cockers, I believe he has stopped now as I know two people who had pups from his last litter.

They are striking to look at and some came over from the continent for job dogs, many of them (like the BSD) were found to be much too difficult for the average police dog handler and many (due to their lifestyles) not suitable as street dogs as they had only ever seen a kennel and the ring.

All the ones I have met have been extremely social, but very high drive.

In Holland and elsewhere, people are less obsessed by "papers" than working ability which for sports like the KNPV are more important.
  7. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks for the info Smokeybear. I never knew they were called Hollandse Herders (added to the title now).

Have you seen them yourself? Do their faces look less pointy than BSDs? I've heard they have slightly larger faces - which from the photos I've seen look a little less pointy but you can never tell properly from just a photo.

It's an interesting breed, shame there aren't that many in the UK.
  8. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Yes as I have said I have met a few in the UK and others in Holland.

Their faces vary just as the Malis do, I was at an event yesterday and all the GSD varied as did the Malis as did the Mali x GSD!
  9. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Sorry missed that bit :blush:

You seem to be quite experienced with these breeds Smokey... which would you say are the closest to being like a 'smaller' GSD - perhaps one that doesn't suffer from similar health ailments (like hip problems) either?
  10. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    :blush: csv..... (runs and hides as this wasnt directed at me)
  11. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Well you have to consider whether or not the BSD has ACTUAL less hip problems than the GSD or it is perceived. There are many more thousands of GSD bred annually than BSD so you need to research %age of animals bred rather than by actual animals.

Secondly how many of those with health problems of either breed were bred from health tested parents.

Foxhounds for example (and by that I mean working ones) are never hip scored as huntsman use the "survival of the fittest" rule when breeding; so if it can't run for 40 miles a day it aint bred from!

You may have to elaborate on your question, eg do you mean like a GSD in looks or attitude and by attitude to you mean a pet/show bred GSD or a working bred one?
  12. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Is CSV short for Czechoslovakian Wolfdog? If so how old is the breed? More info please :p

I mean looks and temperament :lol: face not as pointy as the BSDs, but a more squarer dog without the sloping back (and health problems?).

I read a figure of around 40% HD in GSDs (although I can't find the article now) compared to 20% to another breed. I do love GSDs but the health problems do worry me : /

In terms of temperament, intelligence, guarding instinct, trainable but above all a loyal companion.
  13. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    40 % ? :shock: :shock:

A well bred GSD, with generations of hipscores and health tests behind it is the way to go if you are considering a gsd.
    I wouldnt say GSDs are any more unhealthy than other breeds, and their 'sloping back' does not automatically equate to bad hips.
    It sounds as though you may prefer working line, if you google working line gsds you will find lots of different pictures that you can see the type you prefer and go from there. I know you said on another thread you were unsure about them because they are large, but gsds should actually be medium-large in size.

Sorry, went totally off topic!! :blush: