Dutch KC introduces new rules governing Bulldog breeding Discussions

Discussion in 'Bulldog' started by Malka, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Azz likes this.

Dutch KC introduces new rules governing Bulldog breeding

I have just posted the following in the News Section on Dogsey and thought it belonged here as well.

Full article here...

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/product.ph...=Read%20mo re

Is this a good thing and should the UK KC follow suit?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Anything that helps make breeds healthier is definitely a good thing in my mind :)
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Azz, I posted it first in the News Section on Dogsey and then realised it should have been posted here. Sorry about that.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Steps in the right direction.
    Surely any young bulldog would be able to pass that endurance test (1 km in 12 min.) Minimal age of the dog/bitch: 12 months ,but what happens when it reaches 3/4 yrs old.
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I would have thought if you have a fit healthy 12 mth old there is no reason why it won't be as fit at 3/4 ...if it's bred well from healthy parents along with a good healthy lifestyle ( down to owners) it should be able to cope with a healthy exercise regime .

Just like any other dog, if you keep them fit they will stay fit into old age.....
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I know a lovely Old English Bull dog named Edward who is 5 years old, he was as fit as anything when he was 1 -2 years old, but as he as got older he finds walking difficult as he can't breathe. He's not overweight, he's 3 kilos underweight.
    He now goes to park in a garden trolley, as crossing the busy main road was an nightmare for his owners, as he would sit down halfway across the road, once on the park he slowly walks round & as even tried to play with some of the other dogs, but after 5 mins he's panting heavily & goes back in to the trolley.
    His owners have said if his face was couple inches bigger he wouldn't have the breathing problems.
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    6JRT's likes this.
    Not necessarily they may show no signs of joint issues at that age, Im not familiar with bulldogs, (so could be wrong ) but imagine as they get older the face will change and can become more or less, and breathing problems could occur.
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Any dog could develop joint issues as they age, ( that's not down to breed) either due to breeding or environment , regarding the face changing as they get older, the basics will be the same as a pup if bred for health, not over exaggerated, wide nostrils, good mouths, those won't change as they age.... Breathing problems will only occur if the construction of the dog is wrong in the first place, along with weight and fitness of course.

10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Said dogs issues could be down to bad breeding, also given he is a " old English " and not a "bulldog " I am surprised he suffers from those issues related to some bulldogs, I am not sure why his face being longer would make his breathing issue better, it's not the length of the face that restricts breathing, it's down to the width of nostril, (air flow) , reputable breeders of any braco breeds will take the shape of nostril into consideration when breeding...

An old English bulldog is nothing like a bulldog,
  11. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie