Dutch shepherd - anyone ownes one? General Chat

Discussion in 'Dutch Shepherd Dog' started by paw-paw, Jan 16, 2008.

1. paw-paw

paw-paw New Member

Name:
    nadja

Dutch shepherd - anyone ownes one?

Hi!

I like dutch shepherd and I think that if I ever get a purebred it will be either dutch shepherd or working-line GSD.
    I have read a lot about dutch shepherds, I know they are also trained for police work and that they are really hard working and obedient (actually similar to GSD).
    I want to know if someone here has a dutch shepherd. I would like to know how it is really like to own one and if someone has had experience with both these breeds. (I know about the standars and such, I am interested in their temperament)

THX!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. paw-paw

paw-paw New Member

Name:
    nadja
    no one ? :(
  4. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    doesnt look like it...ive never heard of a dutch shephard before...

good luck in your search

alex
    xx
  5. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    I had never heard of one either so googled the breed and there is a lot of info plus pics.
  6. paw-paw

paw-paw New Member

Name:
    nadja
    yeah, I also did google, but was kinda hopeing for a first hand infos of the breed you know...
  7. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    I would like one one day, from my research they appear to be very similar to a Belgian Malinois in temperament and drive - so a dog that will want to work I think :)

One day I will have one!!!
  8. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Are these those great big giant gsd's??? I saw them once, somebody on here posted, and they were just magnificent???!!! I'd like one of those too if they are!;-)
  9. paw-paw

paw-paw New Member

Name:
    nadja
    no, those large dogs are called King shepherd.

There is also a breed called Shiloh shepherds, which are smaller than Kings shepherd. They were created because of changes in GSD showlines.
  10. paw-paw

paw-paw New Member

Name:
    nadja
    Dutch shepherd is a rare breed but is used as a police dog in its country. They also excell in obedience (well obviously if they are police dog :) )and flyball. I think they would probably do well in agility too. But there are no dutchies here and was hopein to meet some owners of this breed...

maybe you know it as holland shepherd ?
  11. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    I know about the mals, and thankyou for reminding me, yes it is the King Shepherds that I like! Someone posted up a piccy in here of 5 of them all out enjoying the snow, and I still have that picture firmly fixed in my mind, such beautiful gentle giants! One day! I will!;-)
  12. paw-paw

paw-paw New Member

Name:
    nadja
    I also like BIG dogs, they are sooo cute, but I want to work with my dog and I want it to be energetic, not lazy (I have a lazy dog now :) ) because energetic dogs like to do stuff for you, like to learn new tricks...My likes to learn new tricks, but he is slow in movement (not in mid tho luckily :)) - and because he is big, he now has trouble with jumping...
    I was once dreaming of having a lion d'occitanie ("original leo") but big dogs are more laid back...Maybe some day, right now, I want energetic dog cause I wanna do some work. But that too of course will have to wait cause sammy is enough now and he needs to take meds so that is enough expensive for me...
    OK - that was totally out of topic - sorry !
  13. paw-paw

paw-paw New Member

Name:
    nadja
    Oh - malinois are not holland breed, they are belgian.
    It is not the same breed.
  14. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    You couldn't have had a more energetic, athletic dog than my last gsd, she would have run from dusk to dawn, always interested in everything, never took her eyes off me for one second, oh how I wish I'd done something more with that dog, she would have loved it! When she was only a year old and I was cleaning out my horse lorry, she jumped from a sitting position right up into the jockey door which even I couldn't get into without the step!:shock: I was totally shocked at the time that she could do that:shock: Tremendously athletic for a gsd, she could have gone far with the right person, sadly it didn't happen!

Is your current dog a gsd?? I'm going to take a look at the Dutch Shepherds now;-)
  15. paw-paw

paw-paw New Member

Name:
    nadja
    Well as I mentioned I would like to own either a working line GSD or a dutch shepherd :)
    But king shepherd aren't as agile than "normal" GSD.

I currently have a mix of probably leo. and he is lazy - I mean he is my best friend, would never give him away for anything but the fact is, well he is lazy :)
    he does know some tricks, but never liked fetching or something where too much running, jumping was involved...

My uncle had a GSD and he was great. My friend also has a working line female and she is great too.

But, I never personally met dutch shepherd and that is why I wanna know more about them cause from what i read, they are full of energy and obedient. I don't like their color too much, but looks aren't that important to me...
  16. 5dog

5dog New Member

Name:
    alan
    Is the dog you are refering to a dutch herder, not a dutch shepherd.

If so they are vey similar to Malinios in build and drive.

We have a Malinios / dutch herder at themoment and its a flying machine that would go through a brick wall to get its reward
  17. paw-paw

paw-paw New Member

Name:
    nadja
  18. paw-paw

paw-paw New Member

Name:
    nadja
    There are three coat varieties long, short and wire. Wire does look very similar to lakenois (belgian shepherd, it differs from mali in his coat)
  19. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    I've just been looking out for these Dutch Shepherds, and sorry, but I don't like them at all. They look very scrawny, especially the wire-haired, more like a lurcher type dog, and why are they always black? They don't float my boat at all in the looks department!:)
  20. paw-paw

paw-paw New Member

Name:
    nadja
    Well I don't like their looks either, but as I have said - the main thing for me is the character...
    In looks, I like more fluffy dogs, like leos, GSDs, Shilohs, neuwfies...
    But I am loking for a breed to work with not to look at.
  21. workinggsd

workinggsd New Member

Name:
    Nellie
    How serious are you about working a DH, what sort of work are you refering to?