Early Riser...Getting earlier! Behaviour

Discussion in 'Lakeland Terrier' started by Abrielle, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Abrielle

Abrielle New Member

Name:
    Abrielle

Early Riser...Getting earlier!

I have a new Lakeland Terrier bitch pup now 17weeks. The day she came home (8wks) I knew something was up with the amount of wee's she did. She was taken to the vets the next day to discover a uti. This was treated with AB's for one month, the uti cleared up but it then lead to Juvenile Vaginosis. She is now on different AB's suitable for the type of bacteria that was cultured. So..as you can imagine toilet training was a challenge (40 wee's a day for the first 10 days) she basically squatted for a wee whenever the urge came but we feel now we have made massive progress and just the very odd accident and she can go 8-10 hours at night which is great. She did however used to wake me at 5am approx for a wee which is no problem, I have an intercom by my bed and I come down let her out, she goes straight back in the crate where she will sleep for another 1.5 hours quite happily. The last week, however she has started to wake at 4, then 3.45 and then 3.30 now 3am ish. She will have a wee and go back but only for 1.5 hours then she howls like mad for her breakfast and wont give it up unless I come down and feed her. With a sleeping family to think about I do come down after 15 min or so as she just gets louder. I need to break this pattern as I fear it could get earlier and earlier. I am aware I could be reinforcing her demands by feeding her but I usually get up and feed all of them around 6.30 anyway so it was not a problem before. She is my 7th dog and I've yet to come across this problem before. I don't think her waking the second time is for the toilet, its for food. She is a real piggy and goes mad for her meal. She is BARF fed (from weaning) and is growing normally and my Vet has checked her all over including a full body scan when her bladder was checked so I am confident there are no other health issues. I own a dog care business so she has a very socialized and active day included in the activity throughout the day so she is nice and tired for bedtime but I make sure she is not over stimulated too. We did try going to bed at 12 at the weekend but she still woke at the same time. There is nothing we can think of that wakes her, IE: the boiler or a neighbor.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    Could she be feeling cold.

Also could you have a fox, or cats doing the rounds, though if she is crated then I don't thinking's could see them, but might hear them.

A radio on through the night would mask sounds. I do this, and also use a baby monitor so hear the radio too lol
  4. Ylend

Ylend New Member

Name:
    Lucey
    Still in a need of help?
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Please note this thread is four years old.