Eddie's saga. Health

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by CaroleC, Nov 2, 2020.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole

Eddie's saga.

Our vet appointment was this morning. I had starved him, on the chance that an op was going to be on the cards, and she did admit him. His vet has removed two tumours and he is now back at home. The poor boy is very sore, and is in a permanent squat, even though there is nothing there for him to pass except bloodspots. Of course he is still full of anaesthetic, so any attempt to get him to settle is futile, the lights are on but there's no-one home.

I wrote the bit above at 4.30pm, it is now 5.55pm. and he is much brighter! Has eaten some Naturo tray food and some pieces of brown bread. He's drunk a little milk and water with honey, and been out for a big wee!
    I think we are on the winning side now.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Everything crossed for our Eddie now.
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    I hope Eddie keeps feeling better.

This must be hard on you Carole, with both your dogs having issues. Hoping for the best for all of you
  5. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Oh poor lad. At least those nasty tumours are gone so hopefully when he comes round fully he'll be much better and more comfortable.

Give him a big, but gentle squidge from me xxx
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @who owns who To be honest I did have a few little weeps last week. My big fear is of losing them both at the same time. This happened with my last two Cavaliers who were both given rest at 14 years, and just two weeks apart. The second Cav had a health check the day that the first was put to sleep, he was given a mild heart med for low grade murmer, and he was given a booster vaccination. The next week his kidneys failed and he lapsed into coma over the following seven days.
    I'm hoping that today's op will give Eddie a good stretch of trouble free life. I learned this week that the longest living dog was a cross-bred that survived an incredible 29 years, but the second was Butch, a Beagle with recorded dates of 1975 - 2003, - 27 full years!
    It is harder knowing that there is no treatment possible for Merry - but she doesn't know that, so it isn't bothering her.

Thank you all for your good wishes. xx
  7. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    Well it’s only natural for you to have a few weeps, I’d be concerned if you didn’t. You can’t hold it all in all the time, that wouldn’t be healthy for you. I got a little choked up reading that you had to say goodbye to your last two so close to each other, that’s heartbreaking.

Caused me to think of all my past pets. I have some photos of them all that I’ve been meaning to make into a collage.

Just enjoy every day with them as much as you can, even the wet romps in the rain.
  8. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluey_(dog)

29 years and 5 months for a cattle dog in Guinness book of records :)

yes best wishes and get well soon
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    So sorry @Queensland blue
    Of course it was Bluey the ACD. My faulty memory, I really should check before pressing Post.
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Sorry to hear about Eddie, hope that he feels better soon x
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Well, my tough guy has bounced back again. I am keeping his motions soft with ispaghula husk, which means that he is able to poo in comfort - if a little more frequently. He is back to having full walks, and barking to tell us that he wants to play. He is twelve and a half and his resilience amazes me.
    This was him yesterday, taunting his Dad to try and take his squeaky pineapple away!
    IMG_20201106_135501.jpg
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    I am so happy to hear that our Eddie has bounced back again, Bless him! :)

Ear twiddles and tummy rubs for them both from me please, Carole.
  13. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    They really do bounce back so quickly. If only we had their resilience

So pleased to hear he's doing well, Carole. Must be such a relief x
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Good to hear Eddie is on the mend and getting back to his old self .