Elderly dog with bronchitis - Tweed OAP Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by CaroleC, Aug 17, 2014.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole

Elderly dog with bronchitis - Tweed OAP

We have had a bit of a worrying time with 13 y.o. Tweed this week. Although she is eating well, and is energetic enough to make the occasional bid for freedom, (and outrun dogs half her age), she has developed a persistent cough which we suspected was connected to her heart murmer. She had a follow up appointment at the vet on Monday to see whether last week's treatment (Vetmedin and Frusemide) had made an improvement - which it hadn't. She was booked in for an echo cardiogram and a chest x - ray, which she had on Wednesday, and which showed some age related abnormalities of both the heart and the bronchi. This time she came home with Oxytetracycline, Vetmedin, and Prednisolone tablets, and Corventyl capsules.
    On Friday she flooded the house with wee - twice - and even after her walk in the woods she continued to drip as she walked. I phoned the vet, who gave me permission to reduce the dose of Prednisolone, and together with some extra toilet trips, she now seems to have regained control of her bladder. This morning I found a largish string of yellow sputum on the hall floor, and she does seem to have coughed a little less today. I suspect that she will remain on the Vetmedin for life, but I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that her acute problem is bronchitis and that it will respond to treatment.

Has anyone else had an elderly dog with bronchitis? Was it easy to clear up? Did you find any alternative treatments that helped?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    CaroleC likes this.
    I wonder if a dog might try liquorice root? It is often used as an expectorant, and being a root I wonder if a dog would chew it. Not sure whether it would interfere with other meds tho.

Hope Tweed gets well soon.
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    CaroleC likes this.
    Poor Tweed - I've no experience of a dog with bronchitis. but hope someone will be able to give you some pointers.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Sorry cant help, hope Tweed is feeling a bit better x
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    I also cannot help but send Tweed loads of love and cyber hugs because I know only to well what it is like having a dog that can not be "fixed".

Much love to Tweed and you from both of us

:058:
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Get well soon Tweed
  8. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    CaroleC likes this.
    Poor tweed,don't know anything about bronchitis in dogs,but my heart goes out to you.my old lady is 16 and has arthritis ,I can see she's in pain some days but apart from supplements and diet,there's not much I can do :(
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    fieldy likes this.
    This is the consolation I have with Pereg. She is not in pain and she has no idea that there is anything wrong with her as she does not suffer. She is a happy, albeit overweight dog, who is, just, happy.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thanks cyberfriends. I do think that she has coughed less today, and she's physically fit as a flea, but still has raspy breathing when she gets excited or does too much. She will soon be getting fed up of staying on the lead and not joining in with the ball chasing. She's having to get all her fun finding and eating blackberries at the moment.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    fieldy and 6JRT's like this.
    Tweed had her follow up appointment at the vets today, and I'm really pleased to say that her breathing is much improved (Yes!!!). She still has a gentle cough, especially when excited, and though her heartsound is to use the vets word 'rough', she has a strong, slow beat, and has permission to do a couple of ball chases on her walks this week. She is staying on her meds, (less the Oxytet.), and goes back for a further check in another two weeks.
  12. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    CaroleC likes this.
    That is really good news - I am so pleased.

I hope she enjoys those ball chases!
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    What great news to read having only just switched my computer on! :)

I am so pleased that Tweed is well enough now to have those ball chases, even though she probably will want more - but I am sure she will be a happy girl not having to be on the lead all the time!

Gentle (((hugs))) for her, and :058: to you from us xx
  14. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    CaroleC likes this.
    Great news with our tweed! Slow but sure my friend! X
  15. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    That's great news xx
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thanks folks.
    She's gone so hungry at the moment - really snatching at treats & catching fingers. The vet says it will be the Prednisolone that is causing it. She's a nice weight at present, still has firm muscle, and there's a slight tuck - up under all that hair, but I'm wondering whether I should give her a bit extra if she feels so hungry.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Carole, if it is the Prednisolone that is the cause, then Tweed is not really hungry, she just thinks she is, so if I were you I would not increase her food. I have the same problem with Phenobarbitone making Pereg think she is hungry when she is not, but the problem with her is that she gets almost hysterical if she does not get an extra piece of chicken back or turkey neck during the evening after she has already had a chicken back as her second meal.

So if Tweed is not nagging and driving you crazy for more food, I would try to keep to her normal amount. My once slender girl is now a podge and although I managed to get the extra weight off her once [it took 18 months] this time it is proving to be impossible.
  18. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thanks Malka, this is what I thought too, as more weight could put a greater strain on her heart and upper respiratory tract. She isn't nagging, and she waits patiently for her meals to be prepared. She just snatches at treats and swallows them whole. Makes you feel guilty though. Perhaps she'll be able to come off the Pred. if she carries on improving.
    Love to Pereg.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What happens if you do not give her treats? I stopped giving Pereg treats ages ago, just after I had been to the Pension and stocked up on her tiny biscuit treats plus loads of her favourite chews - and she rarely even has a chew these days.

She also waits for her first meal to be prepared, watching me in what I call her "road kill imitation" position, and these days she does not ask for it until quite late in the afternoon. Then she has her frozen chicken back a while later, but it is the hysterical nagging and screeching barking when she wants more and it is not a matter of giving in to her, it is to calm her down. And is the only thing that does.

Not just the nagging and barking, which I could ignore - mostly - but tries to climb up the side of my chair, she grabs my arm, my clothes, and as I say, gets hysterical. So it is either a bit more food or sedating her, and this happens nearly every evening now - has done since her last series of bad episodes.

But Tweed and she are two different dogs with two different problems. The only similarity is that their medication makes them think that they are hungry when they are not. With Tweed it is the snatching treats and swallowing them whole - in which case she cannot really be enjoying them can she. With Pereg it is the hysterical demanding of a bit more frozen something because her brain thinks she is hungry.
  20. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Kyra has got greedier in old age I always feed twice a day but now ive split her meals into 3 times a day, she has small bisc titbits which I now cut in half, which seems to help and also keeps her weight down.
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    They do get a fair number of treats as I like to train informally as much as possible, by a 'catch it' method, which means I always have treats in my pocket, and 'yes' and treat any behaviour which is funny, helpful, or just shows a willingness to please. Tweed was a late starter; as she was more formally trained she doesn't do many tricks to a high standard, but when she tries to copy something Ed does, she does get rewarded, (and often she gets one so she's not left out when he has done something).
    Eddie does lots of little things about the house, like tidying the floor, taking things to the garage, getting clothes out of the machine, and taking out the rubbish. I think this may be a similar method to the one Daniel uses with Charlie. Eventually they start trying to show new behaviours or tricks to earn your 'yes' of approval - and of course, the reward.