English Mastiff s - is there more than one type? Questions

Discussion in 'Mastiff' started by Murf, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf

English Mastiff s - is there more than one type?

Does anyone have personal experience of the English Mastiff .

Are there more than one type ??
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Only that I met one at a local park a few months back. He was huge, and really impressive. I realised he was a Mastiff of some type but wasn't sure which one, when I asked the owner he just said 'English Mastiff' so I assume perhaps only one type? If I'm wrong, someone please correct me :)
  4. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I remember seeing pictures of dogs years ago that seemed to have less weight but as much stature ..
    The one i seen recently was really really heavy..
  5. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    I know someone who has Mastiffs. My personal feelings are - they have nice heads but that's all they have. The structure is not always very good IMO. This lady's large male does about 30 minutes exercise a day and that's pretty much all he can handle. Her young male was pts due to spinal problems. I see many which are bum high and have weak back ends and narrow fronts.

That's my experience of the breed. I feel they are a lovely gentle breed but are often so overdone and it's a shame.
  6. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Seems to be what i am seeing .,
  7. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I think they have been bred for size in recent years too, such a shame as the original Mastiffs were leaner and fitter :/

They are one of my fave breeds - just wish they were being bred for fitness and not size.
  8. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Beorbeol's are an alternative but it seems the wrong kinda breeders are getting hold of them and mixing them with anything ..
  9. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Are you thinking of adding to your doggie family Murf? :p

I met some BBs when we picked up Rocky, I asked the breeder what they were like and she said nasty, always picking a fight with the other dogs. :?
  10. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    I've heard they can have temperament issues too. Sadly they appeal to the wrong owner quite often.
  11. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Most of the breeds i like seem to appeal to a type of owners .
    Maybe i am that type ...lol
  12. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Nooooo your not! :p

Bull breeds are so majestic, and loving. Unfortunately too many idiots like them for the wrong reasons - we need _more_ (not less!) good owners like you and I to own these wonderful dogs.