ESS Suitability for USAR Search & Rescue General Chat

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Warren, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Warren

Warren New Member

Name:
    Warren
    Azz likes this.

ESS Suitability for USAR Search & Rescue

Hi guys, I'm Warren, new to the forum and to the ESS breed. I am considering an field ESS for a USAR Dog. Has anyone got any advice. I am especially interested in the breeds barking ability? Sounds strange but USAR qualification requires 20 seconds of constant barking and I have heard that ESS struggle with this.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Azz likes this.
    There is no breed called a "field ESS" there is a field spaniel or an ESS, both are spaniels but completely different. but I cant see you having a problem with either, both are good workers and will work at the job you ask of them.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think Warren means an ESS from a field trial strain - they are very different to the show type, both in looks and working ability.
    The barking could possibly be a problem, as trial dogs are bred to work quietly in the field. There have been some working Cockers and Springers in UK Working Trials, but the 'speak' element there is not a fixed duration, the actual test being decided by the trial judge.
    There are some working gundog folk on this forum, I'm sure one will be along soon.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @Warren Coincidentally, tonight I spoke to a friend who has over 50 years experience in show, field trial and working trial Springers. She agrees with the comments I made earlier, and does know of one experienced working trial handler who was unable to get a speak from their Springer.
    She suggests that you contact some local (to you) breeders of field strain Springers, and ask for a puppy which shows evidence of having a bark. This should be trained on from the beginning, by naming the command 'Speak', and rewarding any noise the puppy produces. She also recommends that you try to get one which is higher on the leg, as some FT strains are rather short legged, and you are going to have considerable distances to cover. I hope this helps.
  6. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Hi Warren. My Springers were / are all 'field' (working) ESS rather than 'show'.

It's not something I positively encourage but you'll have no problems getting sustained barking with reward training.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  7. Warren

Warren New Member

Name:
    Warren
    Thank you for the help.
  8. Warren

Warren New Member

Name:
    Warren
    With the SAR training, they need to do everything we try and stop them doing, bark constant for 20 seconds and dig hopefully do both at the same time. Thank you for the help.
  9. Warren

Warren New Member

Name:
    Warren
    Thank you, I appreciate the help..