Ethical cross breeding??????????????? Controversial

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by gemma1984, Feb 14, 2011.

1. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma

Ethical cross breeding???????????????

Ok, so I recently posted a new thread because I have a new puppy, well had him 2 weeks now. He's a cross breed, labxBC, and all I got was abuse about how buying a cross breed is irrisponsible and I am obviously an evil person lol.
    However, I did not put the dogs together and force them to mate, I didn't pay much for him so I'm guessing they wern't just bred to make money, I did want this cross in the first place though, I did make sure my pup was healthy and see both parents before I took him home.
    Not all breeders are as responsible as the one I encountered, not all breeders of pedigree dogs are responsible and do all the relevant health checks.
    I know a breeder of Yorkies that was selling puppies she knew had hydrocephalus, and from what I could see was doing it purely for the money.
    Where does the prejudice come from?
    Is it just snobbery?
    I don't get it, after all, mating your dog or choosing the dog you buy or rehome is a personal choice.
    I don't believe you should be able to breed any animal without a licence but until the law changes isn't it each to their own?
    Some say it's supply and demand, like one person not buying is gonna make a difference, even a few, it would just mean more puppies ending up in shelters wouldn't it?
    Enilighten me people, what IS the big deal about cross breeding????????????????????????????????????????????
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    In your case?..... very little thought was obviously put into the mating. No tests were done on the parents.

I have done threads on crossbreeding myself, and I have come to the conclusion that if everything is done right - I have no issue with it.

But the dog you brought highlights what is wrong IMO. No health tests were done, despite what you mentioned about working homes, they were obviously not that fussed about them going to pet homes.

ETA - I hate the fact they are also sold with a 'it will be like this'....when you just don't know.
  4. rune

rune

Trust me----that was not abuse :grin:

What will now happen may well be though!

rune
  5. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Just out of interest, which health checks were done on the parents....?

If - and I'm not saying this is the case - the answer is 'none' then in my humble opinion, you *are* in the wrong.

If people would only buy pups whose parents are health tested, then all breeders of all types would have to organise those health tests. Simple as that.

If the parents did undergo thorough health testing, then ignore my comments :)
  6. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    They were not sold with a "it will be like this", as they didn't have any adults there lol.
  7. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    No - I got that from your posts - your research from the Farmers telling you that they would herd and retrieve ;)

BTW....my BC retrieves (to hand as well)....does than mean she could have Lab in her?
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Yes they were, you said ALL the farmers in the area wanted said pups because they have been proven to be "like this" .

you did not get abuse for buying a crossbreed, you got "facts" from those who you asked questions .

You bought a mix, of two breeds which in your own words said, you would not have the time for one of them.

The breeder did not health test his dogs first before breeding,

Which makes him 100% unethical
  9. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    the puppies were health checked by a vet several times, I've not a bought a dog direct from a breeder before so perhaps naieve that I didn't ask about the parents health reacord but they looked good, no problems and the guy awnsered all my questions. He could've lied it about it anyway.
    asking about cross breeding in general anyway, not me in particular, I was happy to buy my dog with the info I had, he's not a pedigree, I wont show him so I'm taking him for what he is. as for future health problems, he may get something genetic, he has just as much chance of getting sick by something environmental.
  10. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Yes - I was surprised at this as your profile says you are an animal technician?
    Have you ever looked at the genetic tests available for dogs through your job? (or personally?)

Did you consider if you would want to breed at all when you purchased?
  11. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    I doubt ALL the farmers in norfolk wanted one of his dogs, a couple probably showed interest so he bred them again.

IM NOT TALKING ABOUT ME, CROSSES IN GENERAL, WHY THE INSTANT NEGATIVITY?
    If I knew 100% they'd been health tested would it make a difference? People still have the attitude that crossing 2 breeds is wrong.
  12. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I don't think I said that ;)
  13. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    I work with rodents and have studied other breeds but I'm not a vet lol, I work with cancer models.
  14. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    There's a difference between going to a vet for a check and health testing to make sure there is no genetic problems such as HD with the parent.
    Oh and Lynn :D:D:D:D
  15. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    no but that's my question, not about me personally.
    I made my own choice.
    I would say not nutering your dog is cruel but some people dont want to do it, personal choice isn't it.
  16. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    see that's what I dont get either, how does it matter if they were tested?
    He could get it anyway even if the parents done have it.
    And the puppies still exist and need a home?!
  17. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Nor am I.....but I made sure when I was looking to buy a dog that I had taken every precaution I possibly could.

I am going back to that breeder for my next dog (hopefully).

The rest have turned up, one way or another, of course I love them, but they are Mutts - plain and simples, and (in most cases) bred to make money, or through irresponsible matings.
  18. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Your question stated your position - therefore you will be challenged on that, and your case will be looked on. it - welcome to the forum ;)

I think Crossbreeding can be ethical....I just don't think your situation was.
  19. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Nope - if parents are genetically clear for say PRA (affects Labs and BCs) or CEA (just collies I believe) - then no - your pup will not get it.
  20. gemma1984

gemma1984 New Member

Name:
    gemma
    Well I was as informed as I could be, there's only so many google results you can read in one life time.
    Pedigree breeders can be just as irrisponsible though, it's the prejudice against crosses I'm miffed about.
    I didn't want a pedigree, people find that hard to believe, that a collie was ruined by mixing it with a lab, or vice verser, but that's what I wanted.
    Why is mixing so bad, even if done 100% the right way?
  21. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    This is not a thread about ethical pedigree breeding though.

....and if you really want to go there...I HATE the argument that one is alright because that what the 'other' side do. 2 wrongs don't make a right ;)

You did not do all the research you could... because you researched a cross - which will tell you nothing...had you done your research correctly, you would have researched the parent breeds.

...and as for Google....really, that says a lot more about your 'research' :009:

Anyway....I will leave this now - off to train some doglets!