Feeding issues - one year old JRT Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Laura Miller, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Laura Miller

Laura Miller New Member

Name:
    Lulu

Feeding issues - one year old JRT

Hi there - I have one year old JRT and I'm concerned she's not eating as much as she should. She's very lively, happy etc., but I'm just worried that she's not getting what she needs. She has two meals a day (morning and evening) and each meal consists of 25g mixed kibble biscuits and 1 tsp of Ceser meat. She never finishes all of it. We've tried different kibble and have even cooked chicken for her, but nothing really makes a difference. Apart from that she's perfectly healthy, sleeps well etc. Is she just fussy? Any advice/thoughts would be great. Thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    If your dog is lively, happy, healthy, and is not losing weight, she is obviously eating as much as she needs. There is no such thing as an amount she should eat as all dogs are different, so amounts, ie weights/quantities etc are just average amounts.

Just give her what she wants and if she does not finish everything in her bowl, stop worrying. As long as she does not look thin, ie ribs/spine/hip bones being obvious by looking at her - you should be able to feel them but not see them - then she will be eating enough for her needs.
  4. Laura Miller

Laura Miller New Member

Name:
    Lulu
    Thanks so much. I thought that was the situation but the reassurance you gave was perfect. :)
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Maybe you are just giving her too much food for her needs. You can try adjusting the amounts of what you give her, cutting down, say, a teaspoon of biscuits at a time, and see if she eats everything in her bowl.

Just juggle slightly with amounts until she is happy and eats it all - if she wants more she will ask for it, but if it is enough then you will know that what you have given her is the right amount for her. Do not keep changing the kibble or anything if she is doing well on what she has and is happy with it. :)