Feeling horrible General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jcarpentier, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica

Feeling horrible

Good morning everyone,

Copper's DM is progressing. He is now having difficulty swallowing on occasion. The inevitable discussion of euthanasia has begun with my husband and we are at a loss as to when to do it. We know we don't want to let it get so bad that he can't get up on his own. We also don't want to do it too soon...

Is there a too soon? We know he will not get better. Why draw it out? Is he suffering mentally as he is supposedly not in pain?

He had lost about a pound at last vet appointment and that was within a couple weeks of his last. These days he is looking tired and weary. Just this morning I was bringing in firewood and he fell over trying to run around and play as he has so many times in the past. Needing some encouragement and advice. Thank you all for your thoughts.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I know how you are feeling Jessica, but as the saying goes, better a week too early than a day to late.

However much the thought of losing Copper upsets you, I am sure that you will not let him suffer. (((hugs)))
  4. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanks Malka. I have never heard that saying but it fits.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I had always promised my beloved Lexi I would never let her suffer and she did not - she just woke me during the night [she was sleeping on top of the duvet but cuddles up to me, with Pereg the other side of me] and when I shone a torch onto her beautiful face I saw the light go out of her eyes. She woke me to say goodbye.

With my beloved Pereg, who was perfectly normal in between seizures, she probably/possibly could have gotten over the last diabolical episode but... but... maybe she would not, so I made the decision and called my vet to come and give her peace. Was that too early? I did not think so and I still do not think it was.

I have made the same promise to Tikva, that I will never let her suffer.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I'm afraid that nobody will be able to help you make this decision. I know that I have been as much as a week or two too early in the past, but there are other times when I hung on for too long as well. I used to say, as long as they were enjoying their food and wagging their tails, - but I'm afraid even this rule doesn't work in all circumstances. It is a horrible time to be a dog owner. I am so sorry.
  7. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    As loving dog owners we are left with guilty feelings if we make the decision ahead of a natural ending. I feel you should be so proud of yourself if you make the decision and stop the suffering.
    It’s your decision to make of course, you will know when that time has come
    We all feel for you, we know you don’t want to say goodbye