Figo`s show progress........ Showing

Discussion in 'Portuguese Water Dog' started by Jackie, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    6JRT's and Azz like this.

Figo`s show progress........

Well we are off to the club open show on Sunday, looking forward to seeing my boy match up to the others porties there, he will be in Minor puppy (6 to 9 mths) , as he is 8 mths old, so far he has done two shows the first he got a second the second he got second in junior (as no puppy class) then best pup in breed than shortlisted for the group pup..........so fingers crossed for Sunday.

Mind we are not holding much hope for this one, as I have been told the judge does not like his type, plus the boy is being dictated by his hormones at the minute, as is a bit of a handful to handle.........so we will see, wish us luck..

p.s...will try to get some pics for you.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Good luck Jackie :) you should do well with Figo in Minor because he will be against others with similar body won't he.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Best of luck for Sunday! :)
  5. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Good luck to you both, practice makes perfect and all that.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Fingers crossed for you x
  7. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    Good luck for Sunday :)
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Hope so meg ...although Figo is a big boy so he may look a little on the large side .
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Good luck Jackie - I am sure he will do very well, and I look forward to seeing the piccies :D
  10. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    good luck, hope hes does well and behaves for you
  11. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni
    Good luck Figo :007:
  12. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Georgina and I are keeping fingers and paws crossed for you Figo on Sunday.

Remember to be a good boy and do exactly as Mum tells you! :rolleyes:
  13. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Good look for Sunday x
  14. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Good luck! I'm sure you will do just fine :)

P.S.
    If you don't mind... what do you mean by the judge doesn't like his "type". Is he too leggy or something? Not the color the judge prefers? Just wondering. :)
  15. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    How did Figo fare? Best of luck...
  16. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Azz and curly like this.
    All breeds will /should adhere to their breed standard, but as its all down to individual interpretation (from a breeders /judges ) point of view, they will interpret that standard to their own likes...... or what they deem breed standard..... if you look at breeds from around the world you will see subtle differences in where they come from, the Boxer is a prime example to this,

The US , and UK Boxer are very different, and then the European Boxer will be different again, some it will be the head, or the body shape, the US Boxer is a lot finer than the European , and so on. this then cam also filter down to within a country... some go for heads, some go for movement, so like smaller , heavier , rounder and so on and so on.

Then you can also get kennel blindness, where a judge likes a type from a certain kennel, they see this type as correct and wont look at anything else.

Its all in the eye of the beholder, you will get excellent dogs chucked and not so good dogs placed depending on what a judge likes.

Figo is on the top end of the scale in height, he is a big dog, and I believe the judge in question likes a different type. Figo has movement, he moves well and has a good top line, a good chest (when it develops with plenty of room for his heart ) but if the judge likes something that is not like him....for example, they might have good heads, but no chest move well or not be smaller more compact and so on and so on..... its all down to what that judge likes on that day.
  17. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    LOVED your explanation, Jackie. Thank you.! Crusoe is a pet Portie with a pet cut and I love him just like that. But I love going to Crufts and watching the Showing. I've always known the judging is very subjective but never really understood why. Your explanation has really helped! Seems to me you must always go for the fun because you can do a lot of work and nothing can be relied upon for the result. I reckon the dog and owner should really enjoy it most of all. After all, ALL the dogs are beautiful and surely who they is what matters most. Best of fun to you and Figo and best of luck too. Have agreat time!xx
  18. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Meant "who they ARE is what matters most...x
  19. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    GsdSlave likes this.
    There is a saying.......you always bring the best dog home !

This is so true to those of us who just enjoy competing with our dogs....I enjoy it, Figo enjoys it, if we get a placing then great if not I bring my baby home and he is still the best dog there.
  20. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    great saying! well said & too true. Have a lovely day! x
  21. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Thank you Jackie. I had heard you say he was a bit big for his age so I was simply wondering. When judges are involved, of course opinion comes down to it a lot. Good luck today!