Finding a BREEDER Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Derek Hawkins, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Derek Hawkins

Derek Hawkins New Member

Name:
    Artemis

Finding a BREEDER

I’m trying to breed my Akita. I was just wondering how I would go about finding a female near me? I live in Florida and they aren’t that popular down here.
    Any suggestions???
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It usually happens the other way round, a bitch owner wishing for a litter would contact a stud dog owner. If I was selecting a stud dog I would want to know that the bloodlines were suitable, and would also ask:-
    Is your boy a proven stud?
    Does he have a good show or performance record?
    and perhaps most importantly. Has he had all the heath screening tests recommended for his breed?
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    I have some questions for you. Why do you think your Akita would be a good stud dog? Have you done any health screening, like hips or patella’s or thyroid etc? Does he fit the breed standards? Have you shown him and if so has he won anything? What about his parents, have they won anything and what’s their pedigree?What qualities does he have that you think would at least carry on the breed standards or help to improve the breed? I’d ask how old he is but I looked and he was 19 months old when you originally posted so he’s maybe 20 months old now. Akitas need to/should be 2 years old before health screening, at which point you’d have his hips X-rayed to check for signs of hip dysplasia and those X-rays would be reviewed by a board of vets to see if he’s a good candidate. This costs money and is an investment in the future health of his potential offspring. Is he a big boned Akita? Does he have a very large bear like head. There is a lot that goes into making the call if he’d be a good stud. Just because you have a dog you think is good looking and you think has a good temperament does not mean he would make a good stud dog. I’m not saying he wouldn’t be but there is much that goes into making this decision
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Does the contract you have with his breeder allow you to breed him? Did you pay extra for that? Both mine have limited AKC registration, meaning I’m not allowed to breed and she wanted proof of them being altered. I would have had to pay extra for breeding rights and to have shown that they were worthy.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Often in this country, the breeder will require proof that health tests are of a high enough standard before they will lift the limitation on the dog being allowed to breed. (Not sure about the AKC terminology, but we call them endorsements). Occasionally they will insist that endorsements cannot be lifted, but that has to be made clear in the initial purchase contract.
    The majority of serious breeders will be folk who either show or work their dogs, and most will know well in advance the dogs that they intend using on their bitches in the future. Unless a dog is of Crufts/Westminster standard, there are very few stud opportunities, so the majority of owners opt for forgoing the testing, (which is an expensive process), and life as a pet dog.
  7. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    I think you get either limited or full AKC registration here and as I just want a companion dogs it’s not that important to me. I don’t think I have papers for Katie Mae yet, as she was recently spayed. Pretty sure most breeders here won’t send you the papers until you’ve given proof of spay/neuter., unless you payed for full registration. One of my first dogs got horrible hip dysplasia so I like getting dogs from health screened parents.
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    It been many years since I had a puppy but have to admit that in all my years in dogs i've never had a puppy with endorsements on it.

Personally I would never consider buying a puppy if the breeder was to withhold the pedigree until pup was neutered/spayed, all my dogs were pets first and foremost though purchased as a show ‘prospects’.

I have never wanted to breed and with the exception of Kyra (who was a rescue I had to have her spayed) i've always had males and don’t agree with neutering unless for medical reasons.