Fish food Diet

Discussion in 'Akita' started by KCRenee9149, Dec 7, 2018.

1. KCRenee9149

KCRenee9149 New Member

Name:
    Casey

Fish food

Okay so I have an Akita Inu and he absolutely loves salmon! However my pup is allergic to eggs and chicken. He is currently on the brand Addiction but seems to be getting burned out. He likes raw dehydrated food with a very intense smell. I am having trouble finding a food that is grain, poultry, and dairy free in salmon flavor. I have found some but am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for brands that I've possibly not heard of or maybe if there are tricks for when they seem to be getting bored as I don't like to change brands often. I am in the states but I order his food from New Zealand so I'm pretty open to suggestions.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Casey - the following companies in the US, sell grain-free dehydrated raw food, although I am not sure if they sell one with salmon. But you can get dried tuna [not sure about salmon] flakes, also dried toppers and sprinkles from

https://iherb.com/

Dehydrated raw food and treats etc:
    https://www.iandloveandyou.com/

Dehydrated raw food and toppers etc:
    https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/

The following company sells freeze-dried salmon treats which can also be dehydrated and used as an addition to other food:
    https://www.catmandoo.biz/

My small dog is raw-fed [BARF - fresh not dehydrated] but I always keep a couple of packets of dehydrated for emergencies and she is happy with them.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Have a look at Origen Six Fish dog food. It is available here and in Canada, but I'm not sure about the US. It is pricey, but rated 5/5 on the What Dog Food site. Check the analysis to be sure, but it is definitely grain free. Site: www.origen.ca
    How is your Akita with Rice? It may be worth trialling a Rice, Potato or Sweet Potato variety, as it is usually Gluten, Wheat and/or Maize that causes problems. Chicken is a common allergen - but you may find that Duck, Venison, White Fish, Salmon or Lamb do not cause the same problems.
    Good luck, it is a nightmare till you get it sorted!
  5. KCRenee9149

KCRenee9149 New Member

Name:
    Casey
    Thank you for the advice I will check into it! Yes, he does love rice! I mix rice in on occasion. I have also tried Lamb, Venison, Trout, and Squirrel. The venison cause his stomach to become upset. The trout and squirrel were a no. Would not touch it. The lamb he liked but not as much as the salmon.
  6. KCRenee9149

KCRenee9149 New Member

Name:
    Casey
    Thank you Malka,
    I have looked into the honestkitchen and they seem to have such great products however they have eggs in both of their lines of fish and my buddy is allergic to eggs. One of the biggest problems I face. Everything here just about contains egg in some form. *sigh* I will look into the other two companies that you listed though and see if I can find something in their line. Thanks again!
  7. KCRenee9149

KCRenee9149 New Member

Name:
    Casey
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    After checking these sites I decided to go back and look at the honestkitchen one more time and I found that they do in fact sell a Dehydrated L.I.D. Fish food that my buddy can eat. I already mix in raw freeze-dried salmon in his food so I will continue to do that. Wish me luck! Hope he likes it!
  8. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    If I remember correctly the Orijen is very high in protein %. I was told by my dogs breeder that 28% protein is as high as you should go with an Akita, although your dog looks to be a cross so I don’t know how that plays in... Acana is made by the same company as Orijen and is very good quality. I’ve switched my Akitas to Nutrisource, and they really like it. Sounds like your pup has some food allergies so not sure if you can find a food from those brands that fits his needs but both brands have at least 1/2 dozen different options. Both those brands are considered “all life stages” so would be appropriate for a puppy.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Good luck! It is worth trying especially as the shipping is free. I can only get 2lb boxes of chicken or turkey from thehonestkitchen, and 1.5lb bags of turkey or beef from Iandloveandyou which I get from iHerb, as neither of the above companies will ship here direct. I am also limited to a maximum 4lb weight and $40 maximum price per order [and no free shipping], but as Tikva only has these dehydrated foods in emergencies, and not much at that as she is only a small dog, a bag/box lasts for a long time. Once opened I transfer the contents of bag/box into an air-tight container to keep it dry.
  10. KCRenee9149

KCRenee9149 New Member

Name:
    Casey
    Aw man! There's a company that makes food fresh for you and I can't remember the name, but wanted to use them so bad! They don't ship to the US. Was quite unfortunate. The new food from honest kitchen is on the way! Should be here thursday! I too airlock his dehydrated food and keep it in an airtight container that just happens to be his food bowl as well! Best invention ever! Thanks for all the advice! I appreciate it!
  11. KCRenee9149

KCRenee9149 New Member

Name:
    Casey
    Yes you would be correct. He has a small percentage of Labrador retriever in him. It's obvious by his ears and the shape of his muzzle. His parents were apparently one full blooded Akita Inu and the other partial. Probably why he was found tied to a mail box with his siblings at 2 months old. Thank you I was concerned about the amount of protein as I have looked into Merrick raw but was a little timid due to the protein percentage. I feel bad switching him from brand to brand but i really need to find a brand that I can buy locally in an emergency. Ive been suggested by others to try Nulo, Zignature, Merrick(back country), Whole Earth, 4Health. Have any of you heard of those? Any opinions regarding them? I can't buy the honest kitchen locally but love that dehydrated food goes so far. A 10lb box would last me a while in an emergency. Im in the sticks. Snow or ice and my entire city shuts down.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hi Casey - has the new food arrived? Please let us know if your boy likes it - I am so lucky in that I have never had a dog that is allergic to anything.

I actually had to give Tikva some reconstituted dehydrated food for her evening meal earlier this week as I had forgotten to take out the meat [a turkey gizzard] from the freezer to defrost. She usually has whatever I have taken out, cut up, with diced mixed vegetables and her vitamins and supplements - in the morning she has a frozen [not defrosted] chicken wing or chunk of turkey neck. All her meat [poultry] is delivered fresh and frozen by me. Very useful having the poulterers live just a couple of houses up the road, especially as I am mostly housebound.

I am also very lucky in that apart from the dehydrated food, all Tikki's meat and vegetables are human food, so we share it. The only difference is that she has her meat raw and I cook it for myself. Currently I have 2kg of chicken wings being frozen, and when they are done I have 2kg of chunks of turkey neck to be packed and frozen.
  13. KCRenee9149

KCRenee9149 New Member

Name:
    Casey
    Malka likes this.
    Malka, the honest kitchen food has been simply amazing!!! I bought a case of the "pour-overs" and poured them over his dehydrated fish food that I also ordered from them and he absolutely loves it! They have since sent me treats and sample pour overs for him to try. Wonderful company to work with! Not only that but the pour overs they make look amazing and have great ingredients. You can actually see the chopped up vegetables whole and the whole chunks of salmon in the food. Looks good enough to eat!
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am so pleased that "The Honest Kitchen" has come up trumps! Those Pour Overs look really good, and the salmon and pumpkin stew sounds perfect for your pup when poured onto his dehydrated fish food. And treats and samples as well - they definitely do sound a good company to work with. Just keep telling them how much your pup likes their products... ;)

How was the delivery?

With such a variety of products, from both "The Honest Kitchen" and "I and Love and You", I wish that I was not so limited with the few products that I can get from through iHerb - although I am very pleased with what they do supply, and only need for emergencies.
  15. KCRenee9149

KCRenee9149 New Member

Name:
    Casey
    Yes we tried the salmon and turkey and are going to try the salmon and pumpkin soon! The shipping took 3 days and came very well packaged.
  16. Keith Wiethe

Keith Wiethe New Member

Name:
    Keith
    We switched from Origen after learning of its metal content.
  17. Bülent Yilmaz

Bülent Yilmaz New Member

Name:
    Bülent
    Petcurean now fresh puppy large bred advince would you plase& wildfield salmon how
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  19. Bülent Yilmaz

Bülent Yilmaz New Member

Name:
    Bülent
    Thank you for the quick answer yes I'm talking mama this acana grass fed lamb I'm going to pass in the forum or I can stay in line with your advice grass fed lamb made our hairs very solid