Food Question Questions

Discussion in 'Flat Coated Retriever' started by puppymamma, Jan 1, 2016.

1. puppymamma

puppymamma New Member

Name:
    puppymamma
    Azz likes this.

Food Question

Looking for a little help with my flattie Lincoln. He will eat anything!!!! I can't seem to stop him from eating hair, fuzz, dirt, grass, anything he can. This includes the rather embarrassing habit of him licking the road as we walk as well. He also loves to eat his own poop which has to be the most disgusting habit ever. I am starting to wonder about some sort of vitamin imbalance.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks
    Puppymamma
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Azz and Pork1epe1 like this.
    This is called pica, and there are lots of theories about why dogs do this.
    Puppies will try to eat all sorts of things, a bit like a human baby, everything goes in the mouth. I find that my dogs will look to eat rubbishy stuff if they have an upset stomach, so if it is happening on a regular basis, I would be questioning whether the diet I was feeding was suiting the dog. I'm afraid that some dogs can be prone to eating poop - maybe because there is still some food value there, or possibly because they have been allowed to access poop by the breeder. If it's any consolation, they usually grow out of it if you take care to remove it promptly.
  4. puppymamma

puppymamma New Member

Name:
    puppymamma
    Thanks Carol - he also gets pretty extreme hair balls because of all the hair he licks up - perhaps his stomach is upset??!!
    I'm wondering if I should try some pumpkin in a regular basis or maybe a vitamin supplement?
    I have heard that flat coats are very prone to eating their own poop - anyone else have this issue?
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think that would depend on his age, and what he is being fed on at present. If he is on a really good quality puppy kibble, I would say it is unlikely that he would need any additional vitamin supplementation. If you are a raw feeder, it is possible that a supplement might help. Vegetables provide extra fibre, so could help to make him feel more full. Have you tried speaking to Lincoln's breeder? If they are experienced, they could give you advice based on his breed and age, and also on the best food brands that are available in your area. Show and hobby breeders are usually happy to keep in touch with their adoptees, and can prove to be a valuable resource.
  6. puppymamma

puppymamma New Member

Name:
    puppymamma
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thanks for the advice - he is on a very good quality kibble currently so I doubt that he is lacking anything. I think he just likes to eat!! :)