Fox Red Labradors - Are they rare? Questions

Discussion in 'Labrador Retriever' started by werewolf, May 5, 2009.

1. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private

Fox Red Labradors - Are they rare?

Just wondering if the above is rare or not so rare? I have never seen one in the 'fur' so to speak. But came across an advert mentioning the colour and did a quick google and there were some pics etc

Nice colour xxxxx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I have one that comes to training, the owner has two labs, she had a litter recently will go and see if I can find photos of the pups or mum x
  4. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Great, thanks Shona xxx
  5. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    From what I know they are becoming quite rare, I love them as well.
  6. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Thats a shame they look so lovely xxxxxx
  7. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    you can see the diff in the fox red pup compared to the other pups with there dads golden colour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ian is a member on here, but is not on often,
  8. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Ps more things in common !!!!;-) ;-) ;-)
  9. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Yes, there is a big difference . Fab pics by the way of lovely pups but if I had to choose one it would deff be the red xxxx

I wonder if you get breeders that charge more for the reds?
  10. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    They are not "rare", just a version of yellow that is less common. Any breeder that advertises them as "rare" probably doesn't have the breeds' best intentions at heart.

Most fox reds are working bred. :)
  11. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I know Ian didnt, all his pups were the same price, but I guess some breeders may charge more if they feel they are rare,
  12. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    You do, but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!
  13. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    You mean such breeders?
  14. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    I know a fox red lab from good working stock and she is one of the best behaved labs I have met. A real pretty girl too.

As Labradork says I wouldn't touch a dog that is bred for colour alone and as such costs more, but a proper fox red from a good breeder is a lovely thing.
  15. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    What if they were not bred for the colour but a couple turned up in a litter and were being sold for more?
  16. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I wouldn't say they're rare, just less popular! A lot like black and white Springers really. :lol: A friend had a litter of red fox puppies (not fox red, the colours are: Wholly black, yellow or liver/chocolate. Yellows range from light cream to red fox. Small white spot on chest permissible.) and they sold for the same price as the rest of the litter. You tend to find red fox Labs are more the working types, but I've started to see them more and more at Open Shows these days.

Lovely colour, but you can't beat a good old Yellow Lab imo! :lol: ;)
  17. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    For what good reason would they be sold for more? coat colour is coat colour, nothing more. It doesn't make one dog from the same litter superior in any way. I would have to question a breeders motives if that were the case.
  18. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I agree but I have heard of people doing that. In cat breeds too.
  19. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em
    Was just about to say exactly the same. It's a gorgeous colour and I'm not sure if it's because they are so suited to work that they tend to be very lean or vice versa but they are generally cracking looking labs too!! Nothing nicer than a perfect weighted, lean lab imo!
  20. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Why should they be sold for more? It's not like a breeder differentiating between show and pet quality - it's just colour and not favoured in the show ring.
  21. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I do love the fox red labs! Agree with everyone who has said they are generally from working lines. Infact, i have only ever seen one lab in the ring of that colour and although he was more towards the chunky "show type" he definately had some working lines in him.