French Bulldog getting skinny and losing hair Health

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by lovebuddha, Aug 13, 2015.

1. lovebuddha

lovebuddha New Member

Name:
    Jamie

French Bulldog getting skinny and losing hair

Hi all! I'm happy I found you guys, I hope someone in here can help.

So we have a french bulldog that is almost 11 y/old. He has always been very active and thank God very healthy. He is living in Sweden with my parents, and my mom told me that he has gotten skinny. You can kinda see his ribcage and spine, but he is still eating like before (usually a large meal per day). He has also lost hair on his back leg and gotten many dark spots (he has always had some kind of skin allergy/ eczema). Also he is still very active, so nothing really out of the ordinary.

However, I am just becoming very worried. Is it normal for older dogs to get skinny ? And does anyone have Frenchies that loses hair on their legs?
    I love him so much and he is not only our dog, but he is our everything.

Thank you in advance
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Whats the vet said??
  4. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Take him to the vets, if he's eating normally and losing weight he needs to see a vet. We can all guess but he probably needs tests to confirm what's wrong and at his age it could be a whole host of things.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Agree, do see a vet. Years ago I had a 9 year old Cavalier bitch which developed rather similar sounding symptoms, in her case, it was an inability to digest certain fats. With a diet change and a supplement, she improved and lived to 14, but it took a poo sample to diagnose the problem.
  6. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    It could be more than one condition - maybe something like worms and something else. But I'd go to the vets to be sure, then let us know what they say so we can share our own experiences if we have experienced anything similar.
  7. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Get her thyroid checked! The vet might have other ideas too depending on what they find during the visit.
  8. Hannahmorgan1992

Hannahmorgan1992 New Member

Name:
    Hannah

Hi!! I know this thread is 5 years old but was wondering if they ever figured out what was wrong with your parents French bulldog?? I have. 5 year old French bulldog that has the same issue she is skin and bone, Lodi hair on her tail and we brought her to 3 different vets and they can’t figure out what’s wrong with her! Breaking our hearts
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Hannah - unfortunately the OP has not posted since so the outcome is not known.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Have you had a full blood profile carried out on your Frenchie?