French Bulldog Puppy Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Neil Bloomfield, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Neil Bloomfield

Neil Bloomfield New Member

Name:
    Neil

French Bulldog Puppy

Hi we are looking at getting a french bulldog puppy and have a few questions.

1. The owner is providing an AKC certification. Does that mean anything in terms of the health of the dog's parents? Did the parents have to go through health testing or does it just mean they were french bulldogs?

2. Looking at the vaccination schedule it looks like puppies are supposed to get vaccines at 8 weeks and again at 10-12 weeks. If they received the vaccine at 8 weeks are they supposed to be repeated at the 10-12 week window? If the person has not repeated the vaccinations as of 14 weeks should I be concerned?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi Neil. You are doing the right thing in looking to buy from a breeder AKC registers their puppies, but as you suggest, this isn't the whole story. This side of the pond, your puppy would have to also have a registered microchip, and better breeders would carry out health tests recommended by the KC, and the Breed Club.
    I can only refer you to the French Bulldog Club of America, whose website should be able to answer most of your queries - or provide contact details for further questions.
    Vaccination protocol does vary between breeders, and many like to keep the number of jabs to a minimum these days. Personally, I would be happy to take a puppy that had had a protective infant shot, followed by a shot at 16 weeks, as long as the vaccine was the same make. This should give lasting protection, up to the booster 12 months later.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  5. Neil Bloomfield

Neil Bloomfield New Member

Name:
    Neil
    Thank you all. I am sure I will have a million questions. She has a microchip.