Full bred or not. General Chat

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by MalWV, Nov 30, 2018.

1. MalWV

MalWV New Member

Name:
    Max

Full bred or not.

Pup is 4 month old. Mother was full blooded malinois. Not sure on father. What your thoughts? upload_2018-11-30_17-2-5.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-30_17-5-23.jpeg

upload_2018-11-30_17-5-55.png
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Jcarpentier likes this.
    He is a lovely dog, well boned, and lots of Malinois features, but I don't think I can answer your question with certainty. I hope someone with breed experience will pop by.
    You clearly have your doubts, so you could do a Wisdom Panel DNA test. They are not too dear these days, and a lot more accurate than they used to be.
  4. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    It is very hard to say was he from an accidental litter with unknown father or you bought from a breeder and are now unsure? He looks possibly mixed to me.
  5. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Beautiful dog, but something seems off a little with the body and at his age his body is going to change a lot, so no clue really.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I thought he looked a little heavy in the head - more like a GSD - but I haven't seen many Belgians of that age. I have seen that heavier look on here before, but we didn't have a follow-up, so don't know whether that one did turn out to be pure bred or not.
  7. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I was thinking the same possibly GSD in there
  8. MalWV

MalWV New Member

Name:
    Max
    Malka, CaroleC and Chris B like this.
    I bought him from a breeder with no papers. I did this knowingly and the price was reflected so I’m not worried about it. As he’s maturing I get a lot of people saying he looks more like a GSD. I have a good friend that has a female mal and she is very petite in her features so when they are around each other is when I see the major difference. Regardless of what he is (or isnt) he’s a great dog and I look forward to many years of companionship.
  9. MalWV

MalWV New Member

Name:
    Max
    Would doing a DNA be worth it or are they inaccurate? I’m very happy with him regardless, it would just be for my knowledge.
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Didn’t the breeder have an idea who the sire might be.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    He is a lovely puppy and it sounds as if you were quite happy with the possibility of him not being pure bred. I would be tempted to DNA test him, but only to satisfy my curiousity. I'm sure he will have the makings of a great working dog. Enjoy him.
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I too think he may have some GSD in him, but he's young, who knows, who cares, he's lovely.
  13. MalWV

MalWV New Member

Name:
    Max
    I was told the sire was Mal. He was not present. Just having my doubts.
  14. MalWV

MalWV New Member

Name:
    Max
    I don’t care one way or the other, just curious I guess. Thank you. I agree.
  15. MalWV

MalWV New Member

Name:
    Max
    I am very happy with him. Strictly curiousity at this point.
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    As has been said he is a lovely dog, and I can also see some GSD in him. If he were mine and I was happy with him, as you are, I do not think I would bother to have a DNA test - just enjoy him for what he is. :)
  17. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I wouldn’t worry about that, it's not unusual for breeders not to have the stud dog.
    I’m wondering if he could be from KNPV lines as they tend to be heavier built.
    The KNPV dogs don’t have an FCI or official pedigree.