Fur discoloration back of the elbows Health

Discussion in 'Samoyed' started by HappySammy, Feb 2, 2017.

1. HappySammy

HappySammy New Member

Name:
    Adrian

Fur discoloration back of the elbows

Hi,

I have a 2yr old Samoyed and for the longest time he has had exposed skin and fur discoloration at the back of his front elbows. No matter how many doggy beds (padded, airbed, water bed, hammock etc) we buy for him he still prefers the hard floor to lie down most of the time.

We tried different medicated sprays with no luck. Finally we tried rubbing coconut oil on the area but it just makes everything sticky and gross. I'm at my wits end here .. does anyone else have this problem? From all the pictures of Samoyeds I see online, non have this kind of brown patch under the elbow (pics attached).

2017-02-01 15.34.15.jpg
    He is mostly lying down like this on the floor (next to his padded bed!). Even when we make his room freezing cold.

2017-02-01 22.35.51.jpg
    Brown patch covering the sore area around his elbow.

2017-02-01 22.36.03.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Have you taken him to the vet?
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Sounds like elbow calluses (pressure sores) caused by lying on hard surfaces.
    He could be licking the area when you are not aware of it, causing the discoloration.
    You could try Vaseline or Sudocrem which is antiseptic and a barrier.
  5. ItsBobes

ItsBobes New Member

Name:
    Rob
    My guy has the same thing. Started on one leg then the other and the last year around his mouth. It's definitely from licking and the enzymes in his saliva seem to cause the discoloration. He's licking his legs which I'm fairly certain is from arthritis which we give him gloucosamine for. I started treating the stains with tear stain remover. I'll see if it works
  6. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hello,
    The brown is probably from him licking it causing discolouration. Maybe try Vaseline as @GsdSlave said before as it has antiseptic and will help keep it moisturised. I am sure I used to get a doggy version of Vaseline (not the same brand) off Amazon with all natural oils and ingredients that did the same job as Vaseline does. There is not one thing in there that's not natural. I can't remember the name though. It'll come to me and I will let you know when I remember. Sorry to be a pain.
    Jane
    Xx