German Wirehaired Pointers - how hairy do they get? Grooming

Discussion in 'German Wirehaired Pointer' started by Azz, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz

German Wirehaired Pointers - how hairy do they get?

I am in LOVE with the best of breed GWP at this year's Crufts :049: but how typical of the breed is he?

Is that about the extent of their moustaches and eyebrows? His coat seemed fairly short too - would that have been cut for the show? Or will simple brushing result in something like his?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Azz likes this.
    dont know, but would like to. i know border terriers need stripping. thats about the total of my experience with wire hair
  4. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Azz likes this.
    Look here

http://gwpclub.co.uk/breed-information/faq/
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    The dog in your link @Trouble, looks much hairier than the Best of Breed at Crufts... think I'm gonna have to go on the hunt for some GWP owners and get them to submit photos :D
  6. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Azz likes this.
    They seem to be quite variable, anything from shaggy dog to fairly smooth coated.
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Azz likes this.
    As with all wire haired breeds you will get a variety of coats from the almost smooth with no furnishings to the very rough coat, don't forget those you see in the ring will have been tidied up (some stripping) if they are overly heavy coated.

they are a lovely breed but have a stubborn streak and you need to be careful where you buy from, some have had a reputation for iffy temperaments.
  8. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks both. That's a shame, I love the one that won Best of Breed... might have to contact the breeder to see how consistent her dogs come out like the winner :lol: