Got a new Malinois and need Some advice Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by dispow, Jun 30, 2018.

1. dispow

dispow New Member

Name:
    Kamal

Got a new Malinois and need Some advice

i Just got a new male malinois to be with my 3 month old female malinois (Simba) and i'm kinda scared about some stuff
    He's 45 days old and weight 2.5 Kilos (do you think its kinda low) .. i already got him his first vaccine and started deworming him .. he doesn't like dry food and he loves to eat with simba her cooked chicken
    what do you think i should do to gain him some weight
    some pics ..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. dispow

dispow New Member

Name:
    Kamal
    and by the way .. i know he's very young and i got him from a breeder .. his mom died .. she couldn't handle giving birth to 9 pups
  4. dispow

dispow New Member

Name:
    Kamal
    !!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    dispow likes this.
    I can't advise on the weight issue (as I don't know what it should be at that age) too much except to say that if you are worried, query his weight with a vet.

You must have the heart of a lion to take on two Malinios so close in age - good luck with them x
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    dispow likes this.
    I'm sorry, I do not know what a Malinois of this age should weigh. Did the mother die at the time of whelping, or while she was rearing the puppies? Your puppy may well be smaller than usual if she has missed out on her mother's milk.
    If her breeder has been feeding a good quality kibble, I would be inclined to stick with it - you could perhaps encourage her to eat by moistening it with a little cooked minced meat, some fish, or even canned food. Do I understand that you are raw feeding your other Mally?
  7. dispow

dispow New Member

Name:
    Kamal
    Thanks Chris .. well i love dogs ..
    and Carole .. first it's a he not a she .. and the mother died after birth when the puppies became 1 month and after that .. the breeder start giving dry food .. and now i'm giving him this kind of dry food
    1.jpg
    and he doesn't like it very much so i put it with cooked minced meat or chicken
    and no carole .. i could never do that .. i always cook for her plus royal cannin dry food
    i care about them
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    dispow likes this.
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    dispow likes this.
    Have you tried soaking it in some hot water, wait until it is Lukewarm before feeding, add some cooked ‘grated liver.
  10. dispow

dispow New Member

Name:
    Kamal
    GSDSLAVE
    i will do that .. Thanx
    how about the weight .. is it normal for a 6 weeks malinois to be 2.5 Kilo ?
  11. dispow

dispow New Member

Name:
    Kamal
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    dispow likes this.
    A lot depends on birth weight. If you look up puppy weights, you should find calculators online that may give you an idea.
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    dispow likes this.
    There is no "ideal" weight for a puppy because each puppy is different, genetics, bone structure all play a part.
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    dispow likes this.
    Following on from @Chris B 's post, I had a search on Google and found this : www.puppyweights.com
    I don't know how accurate these figures on this site are, (or your scales), but 2.5 kilos does seem a very low weight for this breed. I think I might try re-weighing your puppy on the scales at the vet clinic.
  15. dispow

dispow New Member

Name:
    Kamal
    he gained a kilo since i got him (7 days ago) .. minced meat (cooked) + Royal canin
    chkicken (cooked) + Royal canin
    That's what i give him daily ..
    they are very active
    i hardly get any sleep .. and the vet told me not to take them out until they get all their vaccines since they are some stray dogs in my neighbrhood.. and i'm afraid they get parvovirus from them
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    dispow likes this.
    That is a good gain in just a week, although you do not want him to gain too much too quickly. How often are you feeding him?
  17. dispow

dispow New Member

Name:
    Kamal
    3 times a day .. he poops a lot (hahaha)
  18. dispow

dispow New Member

Name:
    Kamal
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    Well .. Cesar is now 2 Month old and Simba is 3 month and 15 days old
    his weight is all good now and he's healthy as he can be ..

[​IMG]
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh, he is so cute.

My little horror who has been with me since she was 3 weeks old and oh so tiny, did grow up. But she is not a big dog, she is a half Dachshund and half Minpin!
  20. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Aw! Ears just like my boy! Except mine is no where near purebred...