Great Pyrenees/Anatolian Shepherd mix? Discussions

Discussion in 'Anatolian Shepherd Dog' started by Jcarpentier, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica

Great Pyrenees/Anatolian Shepherd mix?

I am wondering if anyone could advise me on the above mix dog? My guess is it would be an independent dog with protective tendencies and not for the meek owner. I am intrigued by this cross and any information or insight would be welcomed! Thanks! Jessica
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
  4. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I do like the protective streak in that mix of dog but I do understand that could also be a bad thing. I would love to own one one day but probably not in the near future as we do not have the proper yard for one right now. We live on a busy road with about 2 acres of land that is not fenced in. I would need a dog that will stick to its boundaries (like our current dog) and have read both breeds tend to wander. As I said I would love to own one one day and hopefully that day will come to pass.
  5. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Sorry to correct you Azz ...... but a Pyrenean Mastiff isn't a Great Pyrenean.

A Pyrenean Mastiff comes from the Aragonese Pyrenees region of Spain and the dog has a white coat with darker patches. A Great Pyrenean comes from the Basque region of France/Spain and has a totally white coat.

In the early 80's when I lived in South Africa, a friend of mine bought a Great Pyrenean male puppy that I fell in love with and after searching for months I bought a female Great Pyrenean puppy, called Sabrina. At 3 months she was already larger than Sally my 2 year old Springer Spaniel and by the time she was 8 months old she was nearly three times Sally's size! As a family dog you couldn't fault her because despite being large she was always gentle with my young sons and their friends, but not very popular with the neighbours, because being bred to guard sheep she'd sleep much of the day and stay awake all night ... not barking but woofing at the slightest noise. Although she didn't need a lot of exercise as she got older, preventing her from escaping from the garden became a problem as you only had to leave the gate open for a few seconds and she'd be gone! As both my friend, who lived on a 20 acre farm. and I found out a GP can cover a great distance in a short time and you don't go looking for them on foot but by car. Sadly, Sabrina and my friends dog escaped once too often and were killed by a passing motorist!
  6. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
  7. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Sounds like a good cross to me with the right owner!
  8. hun

hun New Member

Name:
    Tarkan Yapici
    In villages, they tried to mix Kangal with Malakli (Anatolian Mastiff) and Akbash. The result was usually disappointment....
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi Hun, welcome to the forum.
    Can you explain the difference between the Kangal and the Karabash?
    Purely interest, I'm not thinking of having one!
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sorry, have just read the next thread.
    Someone has been thinking along the same lines!