Grooming Tips After Heat? Grooming

Discussion in 'Samoyed' started by Kelley, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Kelley

Kelley New Member

Name:
    Kelley
    Azz likes this.

Grooming Tips After Heat?

Does anyone have tips for cleaning the fur around a Samoyed's lady region after she's finished with heat? My Charlotte is a fairly clean girl when she's going through heat, but her fur gets stained red and sticks into clumps that I have a hell of a time trying to clean afterwards. I'm worried about aggravating what I'm sure is a very sensitive area, so my attempts so far have included gentle soap and warm water with a soft wash cloth, careful combing, and, when that inevitably fails, trimming out the hair. The result of my failure is a perpetually pink / red stained fur around her vagina.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or ideas for cleaning her? Am I being too hesitant / delicate in my cleaning efforts? Is there a Summer's Eve style product for dogs out there that I don't know about? I've SCOURED the internet looking for ideas, but all I find are tips on how to care for her while she's IN heat, nothing for cleaning her up afterwards, and I feel like removing all the fur around an area that surely needs the extra protection is NOT a good idea. =/
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz likes this.
    There's a book called "The Book of The Bitch" it as useful info in about bitches in seasons & how to keep clean.
    wp2ac9e8dc_05_06.jpg
  4. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    not sure how she would look after but our local groomer does something called a hygiene cut for long haired dogs. she trims around eyes, mouth, ears, poop and pee parts. There is also a shampoo for white haired dogs that helps keep their hair white, that may help and i wouldnt worry to much about being gentle. Ild give her a few days to a week to calm down then give her a good bath.
  5. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
  6. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Baby wipes soap n water,it's a tricky place she might not want you messing too much.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Do you think it is possible that the pink staining has been caused by her own saliva when keeping herself clean - similar to the pink stain that can form round the mouth of white dogs. You probably wouldn't notice if it wasn't for the Spitz high tail carriage. I second the idea of a hygiene cut of the matted hair in the area, but, if she was mine, I might also be tempted to try something like Diamond Eye. If it's safe to use on pink stained eyes, I think it should be gentle enough for female parts.