Grouse counting (English Setter) General Chat

Discussion in 'English Setter' started by Helen, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen

Grouse counting (English Setter)

Time of year again when the brood counts are undertaken. I've had an incredibly busy 5 days, with 3 more days to go.

I've just worked Dotty, with OH working Sid. I did try and work Sid but he just doesn't listen to me so decided to leave him to Rob! I'll have Alfie next year to take a bit of the pressure of Dotty, but she has done incredibly well. I don't tend to work Teal (gwp) for the brood counts as she can be a bit grabby when they are sitting tight. Not good when I am counting more in my bag than on the ground :blush:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The worst part of brood counting is the early starts! 4 am being the earliest but managed a lie in until 5.30am this morning! Up early again tomorrow but giving myself, and Dotty, a day off on Monday!

Enjoy the photos. I certainly enjoyed taking them!

Helen
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x
    Fab pictures, it's so nice to see dogs working!

I can sympathise with the early mornings OH's been disappearing at half 3/4 to go and meet the other keepers to go off counting and he always wakes me up because he's so loud!! Not seeing as many grouse as they were hoping for, but understandable given the weather we've had!

Hopefully, one day, in the distant future, I can go and help with the counts with Moss!
  4. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    amazing pictures xx thanks for sharing ;)
  5. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Fab pictures, nothing better than seeing dogs working :grin:
  6. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    My OH has been counting the previous week and waking me up! Funny how I manage not to wake him up!

How old is Moss? This time of year is a good time to get youngish dogs onto the grouse as there is such a lot of scent.

I've found the previous birds are there, just smaller brood sizes.

I just love working them. Very much looking forward to getting my young setter out there for some training.

Helen
  7. celli

celli New Member

Name:
    jane
    I've just been reading about this in A Dog For All Reason's, made me very envious, when I eventually get a HWV I'd love to train and have a go.

Lovely photo's, your very lucky :)
  8. GirondeDeb

GirondeDeb New Member

Name:
    Con
    Fantastic. I'm jealous (but not of the early starts!)

I want a grouse moor.
  9. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    They are good places to be :). I am no good with early starts but luckily, only usually have one week a year of them lol

What's a Dog for All Season's? You are in a good place for it. You should join the hpr club up there who should be able to help.

Helen
  10. celli

celli New Member

Name:
    jane
  11. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Lol. Just getting to grips with my new Blackberry Playbook lol.

Looks an interesting read. Will have to add it to my wishlist.

Helen
  12. Kanie

Kanie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    Really great pictures: lovely to see setters at work too!

I'd love a grouse moor too :017: just need to figure out how to win the Lottery and I'll be sorted!
  13. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Thanks. It really is fabulous working them. Nice to finish the counts though as it's hard work for us all lol.

I'm lucky in that I don't have to win the lottery, to have access to working/training the dogs on the moor lol. I quite like the fact that I don't have the stresses that go with managing one lol.

Helen
  14. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    Brilliant pictures. Beautiful dog. I agree. Nice to see working dogs working.
  15. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Fabulous pics Helen!
  16. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Thanks :) She's having a well earned rest and once the shoots are out of the way, she will be helping train the young whippernsapper lol

Helen
  17. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    Fab pics. I love seeing dogs at work xx