GSD bad behavior issues General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Wizegrl00782, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica

GSD bad behavior issues

Hi all! I know this isn't about Mila but was looking for some advice & info for very bad doggy behavior. My mom has a 6mo old GSD male & she is just so upset with how hes behaving. Hes extremely destructive & jumps all over her & my dad & is just...a very unruly dog. Mom is gonna be 66yrs old next month & she just doesn't have much strength to hold him back on the leash. I wanna help but talking to her didn't help much. Lol so what other ways can u get this wild pooch under control? TIA! :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Here is a recent picture of Blaze...my moms GSD.

Attached Files:

4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Blimey I’m 52 and thought long and hard about getting a big dog, if I was 66 it would have definitely been a “no “ !
    How are you getting on with Mila ? Your family do like a challenge don’t they?
    Blaze looks adorable, but, I’m sure his looks are far from your mums mind.
    What a shame for everyone including Blaze, I can imagine the scenario and I’m sure Blaze is being told off on a regular basis. Unfortunately for Blaze, he is only doing what a 6 month old puppy knows what to do and because he is a big puppy it is more difficult to deal with.
    You titled your post “ bad behaviour issues “ I don’t think it’s bad behaviour at all
    If your mum won’t listen to your advice, could you afford for a professional to come to the house and help her train him
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    He is not a bad dog, just an exuberant puppy lacking proper training and guidance.

They are working dogs with strong instincts and need stimulation daily to be stable pets.
    They are not for the couch potato owner who doesn't want to put in some effort training and working with them.They need structure, boundaries, consistency, and mental as well as physical stimulation.
    Without this the puppy could become fearful or aggressive and then you have a whole other problem on your hands.
    This pup is going to get stronger and more boisterous as he grows.

For the dog’s sake, I would advise your mother seeks out a good trainer (who uses positive methods) or rehome him to someone who can give him what he needs.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Never having had a big dog I cannot imagine how I would ever have coped with them. My Griffs were [mostly] very easy going little dogs. Lexi was almost too good to be true, apart from being an escape artist which thankfully none of my Griffs had been - although I had a large, well fenced in back yard that they owned. And the two occasions that Pereg ended up outside untethered, she came back as soon as she was called.

But none of them were difficult although Pereg did go through a horrid Kevin phase - but she was never what I would call difficult.

Do not ask about the mini booger though :rolleyes:
  7. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I can't afford any professional training & neither can they. See I got Mila a few weeks before my parents got Blaze. Their old GSD Ruger had passed away so they wanted another GSD. Fine but I told them both over & over not to get a puppy. Why not a little older GSD? One thats trained & house broke...nope they told me. I told my dad mom is no spring chicken & can't be chasing around a puppy let alone a GSD. Refused to listen. Now they've had him for 3mos & mom is to the point where shes having break downs & wants to sell him. I feel bad cuz I know they spent alot of money but I don't think mom wants to do it anymore. If I could I would gladly take him & work with him but as yinz see I got my hands full with 4 kiddos & a malamute!:p Mila has been doing great tho! :)
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Blimey, your mother must love a challenge.

I adore Border Collies, but when I was 58 I knew the breed would be too much for me in my 60s.

However, with the proper training and boundaries set, this pup can become a lovely companion.

Personally, I would enroll mum and dad in a training class (positive only) along with pup. A good trainer will be able to give the proper guidance and is much more likely to be listened to than a member of the family
  9. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I totally agree with you there! I have told them that over & over before they bought him but both of them refuse to listen & live in reality. And I must be honest, mom is not interested in doing the kind of work & dedication it takes to work with Blaze. I warned her beforehand but oooh I can handle it! It won't be so bad! Well now shes got a huge problem & don't know what to do. I said to her I have to constantly work with Mila & give her attention. Its not the dogs fault. Hes just being a typical puppy.
  10. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Oh I know blaze would be an awesome dog if he had the proper training & guidance. Mom had considered taking him to an obedience class but she's fearful of Blaze making a scene & gets out of control & she would break down in front of the whole class. I said have Shane (my oldest brother) go with u then. I also said that once the classes r over with U must continue with the work at home. U can't just say ok hes trained thats it! But I honestly think she doesn't want to do that kind of work. Im going to give her a buzz & check in on her :)
  11. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I can only tell you what I used to do with very, very over the top dogs when I ran classes, but I'm sure most trainers do similar.

If I thought a dog was too disruptive or that the owner was getting upset, I'd set the class an exercise to do then go have a quiet word to calm them down. I'd also advise switching to one-to-one sessions for a short while until everything calmed down.

If mom and dad are really fearful of classes, they could go straight for the one-to-one first to give them a bit of confidence.
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Where did she get the pup from ?
  13. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Chris B likes this.
    Vee: they bought Blaze from a breeder

Chris: I guess mom just called the breeder to see if they could take him back. The lady basically gave mom a long lecture & gave mom a number to a trainer close to us. So i honestly have no idea what they r gonna do. Keep him or sell him?:neutral: Mom has no patience for Blaze & I told her if u want this to work u have to make yourself be calm & patient with him & rewards for good behavior. I guess he still does his business in her house & won't listen when I say u have to stay outside longer than 10mins so he can do his business. U can say mom is a bit stubborn! :confused:Mila gives me a whirl but I stick with it & shes been a great dog. The hard work u put in now will definitely pay off later on!:) so we shall see what shes going to do
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    It sounds like you have tried your best, but if your mother is not prepared to give the pup the commitment and put the time in he needs then things will only get worse.

A trainer can only do so much as to guiding your mother in the right direction, but these dogs need lots of commitment ‘every day, if she is not prepared to do so then far better to rehome him sooner than later.
  15. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thats exactly what I told her. I hate to see them give up & sell the dog but like u said & I said the same thing to her it will only get worse & she'll end up in the hospital cuz he knocked her down & broke her hip or something. So I have no idea what shes going to do :-\
  16. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I’m so glad to hear you & Mila are getting along ok
    I feel for your mum, but, I don’t think it’s going to be a great relationship, do you ?
    You must feel somewhat stressed trying to help
    Keep us up to date with how things go
    Philippa x
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I hope that she does the best thing for Blaze - and for herself.
  18. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanx ladies!:) I honestly do care about mom & Blaze & want so hard for things to work out. She just now told me that she decided shes going to keep him & shes going to call the obedience number tomorrow & talk to them. I told her again that I know its going to be hard for her but if u want a good outcome then u have to put ur all in it. I said too that just because class is over doesn't mean oh that's it! Nope! She must continue on with it at home. I said she needs to be patient too & dad needs to help too cuz he wanted that dog as much as she does. Hey I completely understand! I have 4 kiddos & a high energy dog. Its very challenging but worth it! :) difference is tho I'm 29yrs old & she'll be 66yrs. Once Blaze settles down it wont be so bad hopefully!:)