GSP outdoor space Questions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by Nathan Russell, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Nathan Russell

Nathan Russell New Member

Name:
    Nathan

GSP outdoor space

Good afternoon all :)

Me and my partner absolutely love GSP’s and we are trying to do as much research as we can before contacting breeders. There are a couple of questions we have, if anyone can help it will be much appreciated!

We are very aware that GSP’s are energetic dogs and need exercise, our routine would be a hours walk in the morning off the lead, a short walk mid day and a longer walk in the evening off the lead. The only issue we have is that our house has plenty of space inside but we only have a medium size courtyard outside. So our question is will it effect the dog not being able to roam in a large garden in between walks, and could anyone offer advice to how much access to the house you would give the dog whilst we are both out. I.e is it better to let the dog have full roam of the house or restrict it to a smaller space such as the kitchen?

Any help would be much appreciated as we just want a happy and healthy pup!

Thanks for your time

Nathan
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Will you both be out full time when you get the puppy?
  4. Nathan Russell

Nathan Russell New Member

Name:
    Nathan
    Not to start with, I will be at work 3 days a week and my partner will be at home for the first month at least.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I wouldn’t worry about size of garden so long as they're given enough exercise and mental stimulation daily.
  6. Dorry

Dorry New Member

Name:
    Dorry
    Hi Nathan,
    My Beagle's best friend is a GSP Beth, and they live in the apartment. And that's absolutely fine as long as you have enough exercise in the morning and in the evening. She gets home tired and goes to sleep, no roaming) Even midday walk is not a must after 6 month I suppose...Our friend Beth does not like summer heat, so being a pup in summer she even did not like midday walks...After 6 months it was ok for her to go to toilet twice a day during morning and evening walks. We walk together appr.1,5-2 hours in the morning, and active games with toys + training in the evening. Add longer walks and swimming during the weekend. GSPs love swimming!) And that's enough! Our Beth is in good mood and shape) Up to one year a GSP needs more attention and supervision during the day of course.