Half staff/pitbull Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by bronx, Oct 15, 2010.

1. bronx

bronx New Member

Name:
    kirsty

Half staff/pitbull

hi would any one please tell me wether half staff/pittbull dangerous around children i have a 11 month year old and a 3 year old? the puppy is 7 weeks old?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. lianne1983

lianne1983 New Member

Name:
    lianne
    Depends how you're going to bring the pup up and how you'll train it to whether it will be good with kids. Good breeding and genes play a big part in behaviour but IF you're a serious dog owner of a dog crossed with two bull breeds I'm sure you will have researched this BEFORE you brought the pup home with your children
  4. JazzMan

JazzMan New Member

Name:
    Marcus
    Where is this puppy coming from? If it really is half pit then I am afraid it is illegal under the DDA and you risk having it taken off you at any time and pts, not to mention prosecution for owning it in the first place.

Staffs are wonderful dogs to have around children, they are one of the most loving and affectionate breeds you will find, but, they need careful upbringing and proper socialization from an early age.
  5. jordanio0207

jordanio0207 New Member

Name:
    Nicky
    I'm sorry but I would like to correct you Jazz, the dogs are not all put to sleep, they will only count a pit bull or pit bull cross as a type (even a full one). But Op would probably have the dog seized at some point and she would have to obtain an exemption certificate and stick to set rules that have been set for you to get the certificate. Obviously if the dog was aggressive than yes it would be put down.

Unfortunately in this country all bull cross are counted as pit "TYPE"
  6. Thalice

Thalice New Member

Name:
    MAUD
    It doesnt really matter because pit bulls & pit bull X are illegal in this country.
    Why not go for one of our wonderful native breeds - a Staffordshire Bull Terrier - well brought up they are excellent companions.
    If the DDA had been implemented properly there should have been no breeding of any Pit Bull types in this country for many yours, so either someone is telling lies or they have an illegal dog.

Thalice's Mum
  7. JazzMan

JazzMan New Member

Name:
    Marcus

I did actually say that having a pit x runs the risk of seizure, not that it definitely would be. Just because the dog is not aggressive is no guarantee that it will not be pts, in fact if it is found to have been bought with the knowledge of its parentage, it is more than likely not to survive.

Exemption certificates are only issued under specific circumstances and then only with very strict conditions, like the dog must always be muzzled, must not be allowed off lead, must be sterilized and must carry specific liability insurance, which is hard to come by and prohibitively expensive.

Where the law falls down is that any dog which is believed to be a pitt type can be seized and will not be released until it has been positively identified. This identification is often subjective and without DNA testing, is basically down to the judgement of the person making the assessment. Such assessments can take months. If the dog is then determined to be a pittbull or x, it will ne put to sleep unless the owner has a valid explanation as to how they came to own it.

I think in this case that could not happen and that the op would be far better off buying a quality animal from a respected breeder. That would not only guarantee a dog with a proven temperament for the children, but it would also help to stop fueling the breeding of illegal dogs.

My advice to the op, report the seller of this puppy to the police and don't touch it with a barge pole.
  8. JIMMY LAW

JIMMY LAW New Member

Name:
    JIM
    Living in what must be the Staffie, Staffie x and pitbull x of Britain which is Liverpool, they even call Staffies, Liverpool Terriers around here, i would go to the vets for his jabs and ask him what he thinks, go with their advice and if the police are advised and if it is a boy and he his castated and given the all clear, enjoy your dog. If they think its a PB it will be destroyed, be prepared.