Hands up, who owns a setter? General Chat

Discussion in 'Gundog Forum' started by Petticoat, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat

Hands up, who owns a setter?

I know I'm not the only one on here to own a setter, but I seem to be the only person in my town, apart from D's breeder!! So who else on here owns one and why did you have one? I got Jamie, cos English setters are silly, affectionate and loving, norty and have beautiful soppy faces...:grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. hayleybella

hayleybella New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    my friend has an english and she's the only one (english) i've seen in my town also!
    I've seen gordons and irish in the summer but they may have been holiday makers.
  4. Alison2006

Alison2006 New Member

Name:
    Alison
    I also own an English Setter called Louie. He's a Llewellyn Setter (working setter) whom I had from the English Setter Rescue Association last September. I'll try and post some pictures of him on the site over Christmas.

I've always had English Setters as I grew up with the breed as my parents used to show them.
  5. eloquence

eloquence New Member

Name:
    mel
    GUILTY here too:blush: !!

I have 2 Irish (as if you didn't know:roll: ).

We have had Jazzie(now 3) since she was 8 weeks old, and we rescued kenny who is 8.

I got a setter because i have loved them since i was a child and the parents of a friend of mine had one - she was lovely, i really liked her. I decided very early that when i was older i'd have my very own one.

And here i am with 2:shock: - how did that happen???:mrgreen:
  6. Nursey

Nursey New Member

Name:
    Nursey
    Me too, Irish here as well.

I got my first one, a bitch called Bridie, aka Chetruda Red Rose County, in 1973. I was only 16, and I'd got my eye on a lad, and he had an Irish Setter....................:blush:

Currently my Bailey is 11 1/2 and I'll be getting a new boy in January. Ruairi is only 3 weeks old just now, can't wait.:lol:

Dawn R.
  7. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Seems there are very few setters:-( When I went to see D, his breeder said they don't sell as quickly as they used to, as people want easier breeds and as they are hairy and very norty (**yes, you are Jamie;-) **) and need to be with someone majority of the time, people are put off!!
  8. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Hiya - of course I have one or two of these :) :)

1 Irish
    1 English
    3 Gordon

Never really knew them until I met my OH who had 2 Irish and from then on it was Setters all the way! When we lost his old girls we vowed no more doggies too heartbreaking losing them but it wasn't long before another Irish came to our lives.

We looked at a companion for Sacha and looked at the English whom I adored - she was so challenging but fabulous - we lost her at far too young an age to cancer.

It was many years before we even contimplated another dog - and OH said what about a Gordon !!!

When we visited Crufts a few years back my love of the English flooded back and Charlie joined us - since then more Gordons too - whom have stole my heart by their characters.

All setters are full of fun and cheekiness but for me so so soooooooo wonderful to live with.

I rarely see many setters around but know there are a few who live nearby.

They are quite addictive - one never seems to be enough :)
  9. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    No definately, one is not enough:lol: I would love an Irish and a Gordon one day... when I have the land for two of each!!!:roll: :lol:
    btw, can I just ask the kennel name of your English? The reason I ask is I am researching my dogs pedigree's and maybe they could be related:grin:
  10. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    Scorpio has several - 10 beauties I think ? She is offline because of computer probs at the moment but hopefully she`ll spot the thread when she gets back online :grin:
  11. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Hi there - no problem Charlie is from the Gaiasett kennels - sire was from the Wansleydale kennel.

If you need any more let me know and I will dig his pedigree out.
  12. Thalice

Thalice New Member

Name:
    MAUD
    Hi there,

We are a family of six English Setters.

Fleet (Orange) and Flash (Blue) are brothers. They are sons of Poppy who died af Addisons disease about 16 months ago)

I am Thalice - I am 10 year old Blue Belton and Tan.

Then we have my daughter Sapphire - dark blue belton and my other daughter - Delyth (BBT).

We have also a Delyth daughter also Blue belton and tan - called Rhian.

We are hoping that Rhian is in whelp - she goes to the scanner on Wednesday.

Mum is hoping for an orange bitch puppy to replace the lovely Poppy.

Mum says she loves the kind, generous and loving temperament of us setters, but not the naughtiness and she says we are very beautiful. I done care as long as I get cuddles, dinners, walks and I am allowed to sleep on the settee !!

Thalice-Malice
    (AKA Bournehouse Hazel Nut with Pewterspeare)
    :twisted:
  13. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Thanks Rachelsetters:grin: I will get back to you on that!;-)
    Aw Thalice, my Jamie says he would love to see a piccie of you, as you seem gorgeous:grin:
  14. Thalice

Thalice New Member

Name:
    MAUD
    Dear Jamie

Our mum is good at lots of things, but compooters are another matter. She says she will post some piccies of us once she can work out how to do it......

She says that I too am a 'norti-thing' and my adventures are published on my web site and I also have a blog because I am always 'up to something'. But I dont think I can give you details of the address on this site.

Tell your mum that you are just a young whippersnapper and I am 10 now - and I am just as norti now as I was when I was your age - so she has no hope of any respite.

We know of both your Mum and Dad and have met your breeder in the showring.

Mum says that if we didnt show, the only English Setters we would know would be ourselves.

The English Setter community is very kind and supportive - nearly as nice as us setters, so your mum has made an excellent choice in picking you.

Thalice-Malice
    :smt077
  15. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Jamie sends you and your gang a big setter kiss;-)
    I never met his parents, though have met his aunty and uncles... its one of aunty B's pups I am having next!! Our last setter was a minx so I knew it would be a norty boy I got:lol: If you PM me I think you can send me a link cos I really would love to see your troop!!
    Love Claire and Jamie x
  16. Ryan W

Ryan W New Member

Name:
    Ryan
    I have an Irish setter. He was 1 in october and we've had him a year tomorrow! :D

He's in the vet's on a drip ATM though. Not sure what's wrong! :(

He'll be home soon though :) Fingers crossed!
  17. eloquence

eloquence New Member

Name:
    mel
    hiya!

long time no see? Hope you are all ok mate? whats up with the little man then? BIG setter hugs, and hope all is better soon.

Hows the recall going by the way?
  18. Miss Potter

Miss Potter New Member

Name:
    Lianne
    I have 2 Irish Setters! :grin:

They are addictive, I will always have at least 1 in the Coggle household!:grin:

Hope the little man is OK!!!!! Everything is crossed for him Ryan!
  19. Thalice

Thalice New Member

Name:
    MAUD
    Hi there - whats the matter with your boy ? Hope all is well - we worry when our compatriots are kept in at the vets,

Thalice-Malice
    (English variety Setter)
  20. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Aw no, best wishes for your little man, hope he gets better really quickly!:grin:
  21. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    We have a working english setter. We were looking for a pointer but I wanted a change so came home with Dotty, our completly bonkers, but fantastic, English Setter. She's 2 and a half and did a little bit of work last year but she has taken sooo long to mature. She really has matured over the winter and will be out working in February.

Ryan, hope your boy is ok. My springer was in the vets for 2 days at the end of lats year on a drip. Very worrying time, as I'm sure it is for you.

Helen