Having a hard time choosing Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jcarpentier, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica

Having a hard time choosing

Hi all. My husband and I want another dog and we are having a hard time deciding which breeds to look into. We are not opposed to a mix as we have a greyhound/lab mix now. I have taken the online breed selector tests and most of the time there are similar dogs on there but a lot of times they seem way off the mark. Maybe my problem is I like to research things and without a specific breed or breeds to research I am stumped! Thanks for any advice!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Check out the dogs in different rescue homes, that might narrow it down a bit. :)
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    fieldy likes this.
    Is your current dog active or a bit lazy? I would try to find a good match for your current dog first and foremost :)
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Out of interest I tried out 5 of these online breed selector programmes a couple of nights ago. Almost every one suggested a different breed, (though 2 did place the Golden Retriever first, a breed which I have owned and shown in the past). None of them suggested Cavalier KCS, which I bred, showed and judged for 30 years. Lowchen, which I had for approx. 15 years, came 5th on one list, but Beagles were only 10th, - again just on one list - and anyone on here would tell you how besotted I am with my little Eddie.

In short, I would just follow your heart. As Azz says, dogs of a similar energy level and weight will be well matched to play and exercise together, and opposite sexes are less likely to have dominance issues. If you're not against a mixed breed, and can find a match in a welfare home, I would say it is worth taking a chance.
  6. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Yes tell us a bit about your dog and try to match a similar dog. If you want an idea on breeds let us know much exercise they will get, how long will they be left alone, how much or little grooming do you want to do, what size dog would you like, is there is particular sports or activities you would like to do ect?
  7. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    My current dog is a lab/greyhound mix. He is a bit on the lazy side and is around 60 pounds. He is on the tall side but not sure exact measurements. He will have moments of play but not all the time. The dogs will be left alone maybe once or twice a week for around 8 hours a day. I am not a fan of grooming but will brush once a week. Thanks!
  8. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    fieldy and CaroleC like this.
    What about a retired Greyhound. Short fur with minimal upkeep, similar size to your dog, typically sleep most of the day unless playing or running, and happy to be left alone or kenneled. Just need to be careful with letting them off lead as most have high prey drive and not always great recall. Or if you want a bit smaller look into a whippet. There is a lot of Lurchers in rescues looking for home or even for sale, though the different breeds in their cross may effect behavior and energy levels
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes. If you have Lurchers (usually a hound/collie mix) in your area of the US, I would second Katie's suggestion. As adults, they can take a little time to settle into a new home, but once settled, they are lovely company, and very elegant and gentle around the house. Chasing is their big thing in life, and the two I have had have both been mustard with cats and squirrels - but so are lots of other breeds too, ie. terriers. You could find that your current dog rediscovers his Greyhound ancestry with another hound to sprint against, and they are fascinating to watch in full flight.
  10. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Couldn't have put it better myself Carole and Katie!
  11. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    I don't go by the breed when I'm choosing a dog. I do take size into concideration but for the most part I go by how we relate to each other. It's kind of hard to explain.
  12. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    I think your common sense aswell as instinct kick in when seeing puppies.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    And sometimes a spur of the moment thing - I was looking for a small Border Collie, and ended up with Eddie!
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I can well relate to that. I was looking for a small bitch puppy to rescue - not bothered about breed, just that she would be small.

And I ended up with my beloved Pereg who is twice as big and nearly twice as heavy as her dam - who I saw at the Shelter with Pereg and her litter mates!
  15. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I think you need to narrow it down a bit before you can make the decision .

Size, small medium larger, coat , do you mind a heavy /long coat, how much grooming are you prepared for, exercise, how much can you give, them the look of the dog, what attracts you and what does`nt, slobbery dogs, bull breeds, strong dogs, and so on, once you have done that you can them start to look at breeds that suits your needs, and narrow it down further.
  16. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Same with me ..... I'd set my mind on a Boxer and a Maltese (being greedy I wanted two dogs). But I somehow ended up with a Shar-Pei and a Tibetan Spaniel! :102: