Heart problems Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Janet, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet

Heart problems

Does anyone have any experience of giving a dog Benefortin tablets? Just wondering if there are any likely side effects, though a quick google search indicates that there shouldn't be any.

Witty, thirteen and a half year old terrier cross, starting coughing when he'd been lying down for a long time - just a couple of coughs as if he'd got something stuck in his throat, then he'd be fine again. He has a heart murmur, and the coughing was caused by fluid build up, so he was prescribed Furosemide. Although it didn't stop the coughing completely, it did help.

This last week he's been coughing a bit more, so took him back to the vet, and apparently he now has an enlarged heart. He's prescribed him Benefortin to see if that makes a difference, and I'll be taking him back in a fortnight.

He is absolutely fine in himself - no problems with exercise at all and as lively as ever around the house. So, fingers crossed the new tablets will help, though I realize it will be a progressive thing and he will no doubt need more medication in due course.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Azz likes this.
    Benefortin is one of the veterinary ACE inhibitors [angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor]. I take a human version morning and evening and the only side effect I have had is a slight dry cough at times.

I used to take Furosemide which I found perfect but then I had a bad attack of pancreatitis which is, apparently, a very rare side effect of taking it - and I had been on it for years. So they took me off it and put me on a different diuretic and I am not happy with it. :mad:

Big cuddles for Witty from me please. :)
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Witty says thank you - cuddle gratefully received.

Interesting that you are on the human version - apparently so is the vet! I had asked him about any side effects of Furosemide, and he said it could cause potassium deficiency, but very rarely and not at the dosage Witty is on.

And talking about dosage - I am waiting for him to ring me back as I'm querying the tablets he's given me. The sticker says he's to have half a 40mg tablet twice a day - that's what he was on before. However, the foil strip says they're 20mg tablets. So I wonder if he's given me the wrong ones. If they're half the strength I suppose I could give a whole tablet twice a day instead of half, but I need to check.

As I have three dogs of different sizes, it is very much a habit of mine to carefully check the correct dosage of any supplements or worming or flea medication etc.

Sorry to hear you're not happy with the diuretic you're now on - though I suppose the important thing is if it does its job!
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Actually your vet is incorrect as Furosemide is a loop diuretic and is potassium-sparing one, which is why salt substitutes such as Lo-salt are not recommended for someone taking it. It is the thiazides [such as the one I have to take now] which cause excretion of potassium [and magnesium although in a lesser amount], and require additional potassium.

I will have a check on the recommended dosage of Benefortin and get back to you.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  7. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Thanks for that link - very useful. Witty is 8kg so the 2.5mg tablets he's been given for Benefortin is the correct dosage, which is reassuring!

It was the Furosemide the vet got wrong. He rang back, very apologetic, and offered to bring round the right ones, but I've got to go into town anyway so I'll call and collect them. David, the usual vet is on holiday - I doubt that he would have made a mistake.

Perhaps I misunderstood what he said about Furomeside and potassium but anyway, I'll be glad when David is back on Monday!
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Janet likes this.
    Dosage for Furosemide for dogs:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/furosemide-tablets.html
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Janet and Malka like this.
    I don't have any experience myself so am glad to see Malka has been able to help. Hope Witty gets well soon, sending you both big hugs.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Janet likes this.
    It is just a matter of knowing what the drug actually is, and exactly where to find correct site and then link to it. Just googling will not help as there could be dozens of different sites so it is necessary to know which one to go to.
  11. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Azz and Janet like this.
    Hello Janet :) my dog Amy was on an ACE inhibitor (Ramipril) for age related heart failure and a middle grade heart murmur .
    She had no side effects that I was aware of and Iived for another 4 years to the age of 16 while on the medication.

Usually side effects become evident quite quickly. Each dog is of course different but I would certainly recommend giving ACE inhibitors a try, I felt I had nothing to lose and that they bought Amy a few years of quality life.
  12. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    It's really good to know that Amy lived to the age of 16 whilst on the medication. Many thanks Meg.
  13. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Janet likes this.
    Dottie as half junior aspirin each day for her heart problem.
  14. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    That's interesting - I've heard about aspirin being used for humans of course, but not for dogs on a regular basis. I have a vague recollection of reading that aspirin should never be given to cats but it was safe in small doses for dogs for pain relief.
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Aspirin should not be given to a dog who is on any ACE inhibitor, including Benefortin.
  16. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  18. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Thanks Malka.

I'm quite paranoid about giving dogs any kind of drugs - always double check dosage and any contra-indications, possible adverse effect etc. The one time I didn't, I regretted it. I gave Milbemax (think that's it) worming tablets to the three dogs I had at the time. Witty and Bogie were absolutely fine. But Gertie, the elderly lurcher, was in a state of collapse. It turns out that they should not be given to collies or any collie mix - we never knew Gertie's breeding but, being a lurcher, there was a good chance she was part collie. So, lesson learned - what is safe for one dog may not be safe for another.
  19. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
  20. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Janet likes this.
    Janet, the Webinars last for about an hour and you can put questions to be [hopefully] answered when it finishes - the person giving the Webinar answers them.

The actual website http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/ is brilliant. They send out emails about all sorts of dog [and cat] problems and what to do, some of which I save in Bookmarks so I can check back on them if necessary.

If you look at the main website and click on The Experts you will see that they are all top of their particular field and it is one site that I trust implicitly, especially as it does not appear to be run by any pet food company! :)