Heiko Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by GsdSlave, May 16, 2018.

1. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee

Heiko

Had a real scare this morning, one minute Heiko was fine next thing he went all weird like he was having a stroke, he just froze sort of hunched up, head to one side and he staggered as if drunk,
    then lay down, thank goodness o.h was here as I just panic, after a few mins he seemed ok, went into living room and suddenly same systems my heart was thumping as I thought this was the end, but after 10 mins he was fine.

Rang the vet ,he said just to keep an eye on him and if it happens again hell see him, so now I am forever watching him imagining all sorts of things.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    How frightening for you Vee - it was not a seizure of some kind was it? I know it is easy for me to say calm down but I know what it is like when your fur kid does a whoopsie.

Me? I would have taken Heiko to your vet asap but I am not you and thank crunchie your OH was around.

I am thinking of you and of Heiko and praying for you both. And send all my love.

Juli
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    On Vee, I'm so sorry, and thank goodness Heiko is back to normal again. Do you think It might have been a mini - stroke (TIA)? I remember Cavalier Jenny having one of those, and it did turn out to be just a one-off event.
    Whatever the cause, I hope he stays happy and healthy and doesn't give you any more scares.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    That’s possible Carole, funnily enough I had him at the vets yesterday for his legs as they are slowly getting worse, and he was subscribed metacam, but as I asked for prescription to order on net so he hasn’t had that yet.
    He is resting and quieter than normal but so far ‘touch wood’ seems ok.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    @GsdSlave Not a dog, but Charles had a TIA in 2010. He had had a bad headache all day, and went to bed. He woke in the night feeling that he wanted to be sick, and said he wanted to be left alone. I thought he was having a migraine.
    Around 5am. next morning, I asked how he was and he made sounds but couldn't form any words, and was waving his arms across his body. Scary! I rang for a paramedic, but by the time the ambulance arrived - he was almost back to normal.
    Diagnosed as a TIA, they kept him in hospital for 3 days, put him on a daily Statin and child strength Aspirin, and he has had no further episodes.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave likes this.
    TIA's are scary - most of my falls have been due to a minor TIA but when it is your dog, who cannot explain things it is only natural to panic.

I do so hope that Heiko is fine now and is not in any pain.
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Gosh that is scary, im afraid I panic at things like that, glad that he was ok.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Vee - please do not panic. That was the first thing Ram told me about Pereg's episodes. Do Not Panic. And do not let Heiko be aware that you are frightened for him.

Just love him and please give him cuddles from me.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    @GsdSlave How has Heiko been today?
    Completely back to normal, I hope.
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thanks Carole, yes he has been fine and back to his normal self and no more episodes.
    I'll sleep better tonight, I would love to know what it was.