Hello, opinions on Irish Blue Staffs wanted please.. Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by phill14, Sep 27, 2010.

1. phill14

phill14 New Member

Name:
    phill

Hello, opinions on Irish Blue Staffs wanted please..

hi hello am the new owner of a blue Irish staff just come on to find out opinion's on this breed ?:grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Hi, I was under the impression that "Irish Staff" was a pseudonym for a Pit-Bull but I guess that can't be right as you are posting from the U.K where they are on the banned breed list?
  4. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    An Irish Stafford is NOT a breed but a breed type,it is not recognised by any offical registration body.

Because they are usually taller and leaner than the SBT,they can and do fall foul of the DDA.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2010
  5. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    maybe word irish is muddying things, as you can get regular blue SBT's.
  6. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    I'v seen some amazing blue Irish staffords that are excellent dogs and do well in athletic events but I'v also seen plenty of little fat blue barrel shaped staffords that should have been culled at birth...and definately not bred from just for being blue!!

Breeding any dog for a certain colour is breeding done by morons!!! Especially when Blue is a genetic default of a black coat, I'v nothing against blue sbt's just the people breeding just for blue coat.
  7. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    I've also seen a lot of good dogs, and also seen lots of bad ones - but I wouldn't wish any dog to be culled at birth, every dog no matter what they are deserves the right to be loved.
    What an appalling thing to say out the mouth of a supposed dog lover.

Does this mean in you're eyes, for example, a dog born deaf should have been culled at birth because it didn't meet what you were looking for in a dog?
  8. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    What a dreadful thing to say :shock: :shock:

Like Nicci I have seen good and bad in ALL breeds,but wouldn't wish any of them to be culled at birth,I find that absolutely shocking and offensive!
  9. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    It is Sal and what I find most offensive is the fact had my incontinent Dobermann ended up anywhere else I dread to think what could have happened to her!!!:shock: :shock: :shock: :cry:

Luckily for her she has us eh? Cos with this way of thinking she'd have had her life ended elsewhere after mishaps if this is they way some folks think!!
  10. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Frankly ive no time for people like you who cull a healthy breathing animal because of colour. Its a disgraceful practise.
  11. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    If it's not taken out of the gene pool then it will only add to the current sad state of the dogs in our so called dog loving country. I was a bit harsh saying culled at birth but definately the dog should be neutered.

Do you really believe alot of breeders don't still cull pups that aren't right ? Should they wait untill they are older and someone has loved them and let them have the nice job of putting their loved pet to sleep for a structual/temp/health issue ? When they could have skipped past that pup and got a healthy one instead ??

and who said cull an animal for being blue, I think it's worse to breed a colour to be blue!!!
  12. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    I meet alot of blue staffies out on walks lovely dogs.
    But nearly all of there owner say there dogs are irish blue staffords.
    Frankly they are, and look like blue staffs.
    I think alot of people call blue staffs.. irish blue staffs for some reason?:017:
    Well it seems that way from the people and dogs I have met, and they are just blue staffies nothing more mothing less.
    Also they think and say how blue is very rare, which is untrue.
    The people/breeders do tend to play on this (blue is very rare) to sell the pups for really high prices.
    This has made them very popular, and I often see more blue staffies now out on walks then I do your white, fawn, black, brindles and reds.
  13. Dobermonkey

Dobermonkey New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I have to say i do like the look of a blue staff, as long as it isnt detrimental health wise like it is with Dobermanns (i dont know about this, if it is then would naturally not be in favour of breeding for the colour)

There will always be a market for 'unusual' colours amongst people who have low awareness of health issues/testing.
  14. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Why ?
    If the dog is a good example of it's breed and health tested why should it be neutered ?

Don't really see what this has to do with the last statement you made,when you stated
    There is absolutey no reason to cull a breed standard,blue SBT puppy at birth.

you did, see above
    The colour blue is an accepted,recognised colour in SBT's.
  15. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Your meant meant to improve breeds by breeding best to best taking health/structure/temperment into consideration, not breeding any two dogs (which is what happens over and over again) to make the breed more colourfull lol

I know the colour is accepted as I said it's a genetic default of a black coat I know, but if breeding just to obtain a certain colour "Blue" is accepted then how is that going to help a breed ?

blah blah blah right, I don't want another reply. Forget I ever posted!!!
  16. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    So, all pups (not just staffs) who are not breed standard colour should ne culled "just in case" later on they develop problems? Your argument is i
    Outdated, niave & very offensive. I have white Boxers & they are as healthy as any coloured dogs. They have full hearing & sight.

Deliberately breeding for colour is another subject & one that been covered i believe on here

Colour does not make the dog, you need to look past its colour & see it as the individual it is!
  17. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally

As far as I'm aware Blue is not a genetic default,it is a recessive gene that affects the coat colour.
    As far as quality goes that depends on the dogs that were bred,but to produce blue in a litter both parents must carry the gene.
    Of course you are mean't to improve breeds,and good breeders don't breed for colour alone,they breed for the whole package.
  18. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Good post,totally agree!
  19. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I`m sure your dog is lovely, Phill, whatever colour he (or she is). Piccies would be nice :grin:
    But I`d drop the `Irish` bit if I were you, because it tends to be a euphemism for a cross with a banned breed. :002:
  20. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    if its a staffie just call it a staffie and drop all this irish blurb.
    as you are creating trouble for yourself where you dont need to, as irish staffie is a known pseudonym for pit bull type.
  21. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci

But this happens in all breeds, not just with Staffords.

A puppy from the litter my American Bulldog was from contained a solid Black puppy in her litter. I was told time and time again by ''know it alls'' that she couldn't have been ''pure'' breed as her Sire and Dam produced this puppy.

So, I went to see two main people in the breed at the time armed with copies of her Sire and Dams paperwork, along with her own, had them both look over my dog and all the paperwork I was armed with, for me, all was legit - her parents had indeed managed to produce a solid black American Bulldog puppy - the puppy was explained away as a generation throwback. So does this mean the pup should have been culled at birth because she didn't meet written standards at the time?

Incidently, I know of people that would have given their right arm for a puppy of that colour of that breed, but for all the wrong reasons...The pup was stunning we almost picked her!! Going back a fair few years ago now though!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2010