HELP! MAL PREY DRIVE ISSUE Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Joeybrady7, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Joeybrady7

Joeybrady7 New Member

Name:
    Joey

HELP! MAL PREY DRIVE ISSUE

I had just bought a 12 week old malinois about 5 days ago from a reputable breeder. His mother was a fly dog, and his father is a Sheriff K9. His pedigree shows 4 generations of IPO 3 titles so there should be no issue with his prey drive... But there is. He is not interested in any toys, not interested in playing tug or anything. Is this because he is only 12 weeks old? Does he have low prey drive? Seperation anxiety from leaving his other 3 brothers? HELP!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    5 days! Give the pup time to find his feet and settle in. He has left his Mum and his siblings, (playmates), I'm sure he will play with humans when he feels ready. Don't push too hard before he is ready.
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I agree with @CaroleC, be patient with him and allow him time to adjust. He has just left the only home and family he’s ever known, and he’s still a baby.. You may be a stranger to him at the moment.

When I first read the title I thought the issue was going to be too much prey drive. I’d bet that you will be laughing about this in a little while, he will be tearing squeakers out of toys, and/or tearing the heads off them, shaking them in his mouth, all the normal things that a high prey drive dog does. All good things in all good time
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Chris B and CaroleC like this.
    I would give him time to settle, but all puppies are different, and just because he has a working pedigree doesn’t guarantee he will be a high drive pup.
    I assume you want to do sports with him?
    Did you test out his drive on his home ground before you bought him?
  6. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ

This is Malone. He is 6-7 weeks old. He is a Labrador mix. This behavior is BEYOND annoying and I am working on training it out of him. I realize some people want working dogs, but I can't imagine WANTING this type of behavior.