Help!! Our 3 year old Pekingese can't walk... Questions

Discussion in 'Pekingese' started by Ashley L, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Ashley L

Ashley L New Member

Name:
    Ashley
    Azz likes this.

Help!! Our 3 year old Pekingese can't walk...

Just the other day I went to bed and my Pekingese was extremely restless all night. The next morning she was shivering and seemed like she was in a quite a bit of pain. I took her to the vet's office where they took X-rays, and came to the conclusion that she may have a hip problem and she may need surgery to fix it. Since then she has gotten much worse, she hobbles around and can barely use the bathroom... all of this while being on pain medicine, muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatory, and joint medicine given by the veterinarian. I know that Pekingese have issues with their disks, spine, hips, etc. but she is only 3 years old, and should not be experiencing such issues this early. It seems like when she is walking her left leg gives out completely with every step she takes... Please, if anyone has any information or experience with this contact me as soon as possible. Thank you so much.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Azz likes this.
    Hi Ashley, welcome to the forum.
    I'm sorry to hear that your young Peke is having so much pain and difficulty with her hip. Has your vet given this condition a name? As you say, she is very young for a degenerative disease, and I therefore suspect that this may be Legg-Perthes disease, which is a growth defect which can affect young and primarily toy breeds, (also happens in humans). If it is Perthes, you will find a lot of info. about this condition on Google.
    Personally, I only know of one case, which was a young Cavalier - I can't remember the exact age - which belonged to a couple who were great weekend walkers. The dog would experience sudden onset severe lameness after exercise. After trying the conservative treatment, (exactly what your vet has prescribed), they decided to go for the operation, and were pleased with the result.
    The only other advice I can offer is to try using a scarf, or similar, as a sling under her tummy, to give her a little support when she goes to the toilet.
    Best wishes. I hope all turns out well.
  4. Ashley L

Ashley L New Member

Name:
    Ashley
    Azz likes this.
    Thank you so much for your response. I have sent the information you gave me to the veterinarian, and he said he is going to research the disease and get back to me. As for as a condition name the doctor didn't give one, just said a problem with the hip possibly. I really appreciate your quick response, and will try using the scarf idea.

Thanks again,
    Ashley L.