Hernia Questions

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by Izabel, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Izabel

Izabel New Member

Name:
    Izabel

Hernia

IMG_9590.JPG hi everyone... I have a question... I have a lovely and amazing shihtzu who got an umbilical hernia since birth complications... but she is ok with that... I've been asking the vet here in England if I could do a surgery for fix but they all want me to spay her... and I don't want because I really want her puppies at least once... anyone can answer me if she got puppies they can born with hernia too? Even if I decided to do the surgery? Thanks in advance
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Hernias are usually left until the dog is around 12-18 month to see if they correct themselves. Vets would not want to operate on them prior to that unless they were anaesthetising for another reason at the same time - hence the spay.

Don't fall for the hype that says dogs should have one litter. That is not the case and it can cause far more problems for both her and you. Raising a litter is not the cute, cuddly experience that many expect. It is hard work and can often be heartbreaking
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Hernias are generally thought be hereditary. Surgically closing the hernia will not alter this, as the problem lies in the genes. As Chris says, some tiny hernias can become insignificant as the puppy grows, but a hernia in an adult dog will not heal without surgery. Pregnancy will create additional pressure in the abdomen, which can cause the situation to become more serious.
  5. Izabel

Izabel New Member

Name:
    Izabel
    Her hernia wasn't an hereditary case... that I know for sure... so that's mean she will never be able to have a litter?
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and Malka like this.
    You really should ask your vet about this. How long would your bitch have to heal before putting her in pup, and how old is she now?
    The Shih Tzu breed has quite a long list of potential health problems, have you read up about these, and researched finding a suitable stud? The Kennel Club and the BVA also recommend that Shih Tzus are DNA tested for renal dysplasia before breeding. You should have your bitch tested, and ask to see the stud dog's certificate before mating.
  7. Izabel

Izabel New Member

Name:
    Izabel
    She is 17 months but I'm not planning to have the litter so soon... for me she is still a baby... but in the future I would like to... I'm just worried if is going to be dangerous for her or if the puppies going to have hernia too...
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    As @CaroleC said:
    However, you did not answer her and still want to have a litter from her? Why do you want that - is it because you think she is cute? Yes, she is cute but that does not mean any litter she has will also be cute. I used to breed Griffons and both my girls and the studs I used were KC registered and had five generation pedigrees - and yet some of the puppies were definitely nowhere as cute as either their dam or their sire.

And yes, as the hernia has not corrected itself by now, being pregnant could very well be dangerous for her, as well as any puppies she was carrying. I would definitely not risk it.
  9. Izabel

Izabel New Member

Name:
    Izabel
    Oh and yes I've being studying a lot
    I'm sorry I think I didn't explain properly...
    my shih tzu is a very healthy dog, with pedigree an kc registered also... do check up every 6 months because I want to... she is cute ? Yes she is... but I'm not a stupid person to have a litter just because I find cute... I want "in the future" have more dogs... more shih tzu dogs because I love the breed... and believe me I know how much work a litter can do... my family used to have Labrador... the only question that I made is the danger of having hernia because I never had a dog with hernia before and the danger for the puppies... and when I said they are cute I said all of the shih tzu..: not just mine! But thank you all of you for your time spent on answer my question.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and Malka like this.
    OK.
    Every KC registered dog has a pedigree - but a pedigree is just a list of names unless you actually know something about those dogs. What were their strengths or faults? (Yes, all dogs have faults) It is what is in that pedigree that is important, so you will really need a mentor when you are not experienced in the breed. If your girl came from an established breeder, I would be inclined to go back to her, ask her to do an assessment on your bitch, and see what she suggests.
    If you are not in touch with the breeder any longer, you could join the Breed Club, and maybe attend a show or two to, 'get your eye in', and learn what is a desirable type in your breed. Chat to the other exhibitors - always after the dogs have been shown, when they are less preoccupied.
    I have to be honest and say that I would not choose a bitch with a hernia as a foundation bitch. Though you state that you know it is not hereditary in your girl, it is listed as a potential problem in the breed. Even repaired, I would always be worried about the strain on the op. site if she were to carry a large litter. Faults arise all too often when you breed, so you should always start with the very best bitch that you can acquire.