Hi, I’m a newbie w/ a rescue w/ poss. Weimaraner ancestry Questions

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by Bunny<3Luna, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Bunny<3Luna

Bunny<3Luna New Member

Name:
    Bunny

Hi, I’m a newbie w/ a rescue w/ poss. Weimaraner ancestry

Hi, I’m hoping to find a positive learning community :). I have a rescue named Luna who I just ran dna on and her ancestry. She’s 12.5% Australian cattle dog, the same amount Cocker spaniel, the same amount German shepherd, and the same amount Chow chow. 50% of her, though includes the breed groups Asiatic, Terrier, Working dogs (and one other group I can’t quite recall)...but included in her mix is possibly Weimaraner. The reason I mention that is that except for her erect ears, she looks and feels a lot like a Weimaraner and she acts like one, too. I’m just trying to figure out a few characteristics specific to the breed.

One unusual thing about her, and I hope this isn’t too crude, is her vulva is more or less underneath her instead of right on her backside. I’ve never seen this in any other breed of dog. Is this a Weimaraner thing?

Another thing I’m trying to figure out...what kind of collar should she have? When I first brought her home she had a bad respiratory infection and she’d cough to the point of collapsing her trachea. I never want her to experience that again and I was wondering the pros and cons of buying a wider, possibly Martingale-style, collar?

I’m looking forward to meeting everyone and reading your responses,

Thanks
    Bunny<3Luna
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi Bunny, you have a real mix on your hands there, making it hard to attribute traits to any single breed or group. Luna's vulva sounds as if it might have remained in a juvenile state, you sometimes see this when a bitch has been spayed as a puppy. If she came from a US shelter, this is likely as some will not rehome without spaying first. As long as she can keep herself clean there shouldn't be any problem with the position.
    If she has a sensitive neck it is better to use either a no-pull harness, or a broad martingale collar. The martingale type sold for greyhounds and Lurchers would be my choice, but others on here do favour harnesses.
    Feel free to load some photos of Luna, we do like looking at everyone else's dogs.
  4. Bunny<3Luna

Bunny<3Luna New Member

Name:
    Bunny
    CarolC, what you say makes a lot of sense. Luna came home from a shelter here in AZ when she was about 3.5 to 4 months old where she was spayed and tattooed to show it. It’s just another thing that makes her unique!

I’ll keep her in a harness when she’s around home (one service dog school I know of doesn’t allow harnesses, only Martingales)...I forgot to mention, she’s going to become my service dog! I have ptsd, depression, anxiety, lupus and ra. I’m hoping to get her into puppy obedience asap, then service dog school where I’ll train her myself. The one thing she dislikes most about being a service dog in training is no fod from the table—which is almost too much for her to bear during cookie making season, lol! But she’s doing pretty well adjusting overall. In the last week—fingers crossed—she’s become potty trained...yeah!!! So, in short...I’ll buy her a pretty Martingale from somewhere like etsy, one of the wide collars to protect her throat. That’s what she can wear while she’s at school.

You’re such a good soul to write back so soon, CarolC! Are those irresistible beagles I see in your picture? The first 2 dogs I ever had were beagles—the very expression of love and devotion! What are their names?
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Carole has made some very good points.

Try to keep her to the harness except where absolutely necessary. I can never understand training establishments that won't allow them even for medical reasons. It just doesn't make any sense
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I'm always ready to talk about my Beagles!
    Eddie at the front is 10.5 years. He came from rescue at about 4.5 months. He has done Obedience and Working Trials seriously, and a little Heelwork to Music and Tracking for fun. He is now happily retired, and has reverted back to being the cheeky, stubborn Beagle that I always knew lurked inside!
    Merry is 9.5 years and was rehomed at six years from one of the top show kennels. She was successfully shown as a youngster, and then retired to have puppies, (but is now spayed). She returned to shows when she came to me, and is having a lovely third career in Veteran classes. She is a giddy girl, but so loving, and I adore her.
    There are lots of photos of them on the Beagle forum.