Hi! Irish Wolfhound/Lab cross wanted! General Chat

Discussion in 'Irish Wolfhound' started by AmandaA, Nov 9, 2011.

1. AmandaA

AmandaA New Member

Name:
    Amanda

Hi! Irish Wolfhound/Lab cross wanted!

We are looking for an Irish Wolfhound/Lab cross for some company for our recently widowed Yorkshire terrier.

Does anyone know of any going? It would be much appreciated!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Have to ask, why that cross???
  4. vulcho

vulcho New Member

Name:
    sarah
    cant see why anyone would cross an Irish wolfhound they are perfect as they are,
  5. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Money :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
  6. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    i've never seen the IW crossed with another breed.
  7. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Met some puppy wolfhounds cross with another hound (sounded like huntington hound - it was like 1/4 collie with 3 other hounds). The breeder breeds wolfhounds but occasionally has lurcher pups apparently!
    Have to say they were mega cute at 14 weeks but huge :lol:

I would imagine searching for such a specific cross (especially with wolfhounds not being too common) will be very hard to find.
  8. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Have seen people add wolfhound to breeds for use as boar dogs.
    Pure working dogs ...

What cross is Baileysblind??
  9. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Wolfhound x Retriever :lol:

Not sure how the cross came about but when Bailey was handed into rescue his daddy came too - full wolfhound - also grossly underweight but I was told that mum was still at owners - evidently the guy couldn't afford to feed em :shock: Can't have been good for mum that, the difference in size could've ended pretty badly for her. Don't know how many pups in the litter either :-(

I've had him 3 and a half years now though so a bit too early for the 'designer' brigade to stick a hefty price tag on him!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2011
  10. AmandaA

AmandaA New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Sorry that was a bit specific, we are looking for any Wolfhound cross. Does anyone know of any breeders? Thanks!
  11. Deb/Pugglepup

Deb/Pugglepup New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Have you looked at the Recues? There may be a suitable rescue awaiting a forever home :grin:
  12. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

No reputable breeder will produce crosses, either on purpose or via 'accident'.

The only "breeders" who would produce a cross are puppy farmers who are out to get as much money as possible and who don't give a damn about the dogs. They do not do any of the releant health tests on the parent dogs, thus raising the risk of any puppies inheriting breed-specific diseases.

Your best bet is to look at rescues, where you are likely to find many interesting crosses - there are some wonderful dogs in rescues, I know, I have one :)
  13. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    If you definitely want Wolfhound in there why not just look for a pedigree one rather than a cross?

Or as has been suggested, try rescue.
  14. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I came across Bailey in a rescue, that's your best bet I would think.

Wolfhounds don't seem to be of the 'designer' breed set probably because of their size and I really can't see reputabe breeders deliberatley crossing them - there is a wolfhound specific rescue who may know / have crosses needing homes :
    http://www.wolfhoundrescue.org.uk/

That's the main one for the UK, the fact that there's not many rescues for them tells you that they're not a common dog like labs, gsd's, staffy's etc
  15. r_s0k0l

r_s0k0l New Member

Name:
    REBECCA
    I have two rescues myself Bevis and Gusto(Bevis Dad) there very chill dogs not crazy active but have labs wicked happy personalities. I do not breed them though as with rescues being over run and such. Ask your LOCAL RESCUE.... anyway back to the mix. I find they enjoy water and there is almost 0 shedding. There smart & alert family mixes, they do need at least a hour workout each day. But once inside are lazy and hog the sofa if your heart, is set tell every rescue and shelter in your area what your looking for!
  16. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
  17. tartan

tartan New Member

Name:
    Mack
    Hi all.
    have not been here before.
    someone asked why cross a wolfhound. if i could post attachments i would be able to show what my Jesse wolfhound x lab retriever looked like. she was very low maintenance and ill only once in her life. the wolfhound character was strong and she was the most amazing dog i have ever met. she basically trained herself.