Hind Legs Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Roderick Square, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Roderick Square

Roderick Square New Member

Name:
    Nikko

Hind Legs

Good morning all...
    My name is Nikko and I am the proud new owner of an 8 week old Frenchie. We are still searching for a name for him, but more important then that I have some concerns about his hind legs. He stands and sometimes goes into a full split, he also walks sorta funny at times as well, it's not happening all the time but enough to notice and become concerned. The breeder we got him from says that his leg muscles haven't developed fully because he's so you and that he will get stronger and it will fade with time. My question is has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the outcome of your experience?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Nikko - I do not know anything about Frenchies but an 8 week-old puppy of any breed should be able to stand and walk [or waddle] without causing concern. Did you not notice this before getting him, and did the breeder not comment on it? I never let any of my puppies go before they had had a full vet check-up to make sure they were healthy and their development was normal for their age.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I would have a vet check done on your puppy. He will be due for his first vaccination anyway.
  5. Roderick Square

Name:
    Nikko
    Thanks!
  6. Roderick Square

Name:
    Nikko
    Didn't notice it till we got home and put him down to get use to his new home. Wasn't noticeable at first but soon became very apparent. Called the breeder and explained to him our concerns. He said his leg muscles haven't fully developed seeing as he was so you and that as his legs got stronger he would be fine. Going to take him into the vet, was just wondering if anyone had every had anything like this happen
  7. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Doesn't sound right at all to me. At 8 weeks they should have been walking for quite some time. My little man was trotting around quite happily at that age. I hope it's not genetically inherited, or that he has any other unknown, underline health conditions. But make sure a vet checks him for every possible eventuality? Lovely picture by the way!
  8. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff
    We got our youngest at 8 weeks and she could walk just fine she only weighed 3.6 lbs. FC3F2231-0BF2-4DC8-8485-6295925EADF7.jpeg
  9. Roman2391

Roman2391 New Member

Name:
    Antonio
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hi Nikko, hope you're well. Did you do much research on the breeder you got him from? As you probably know Frenchies are sought after dogs and unfortunately for this reason fall victim to puppy mills or unprofessional breeders. It could simply be that your pup isn't actually 8 weeks old. Did he come with paperwork confirming dob? It's just a thought, hopefully this is the case and nothing serious.
  10. Megan Dacus

Megan Dacus New Member

Name:
    Megan
    Nikko, can you provide us with an update? Our 8 week old French bulldog is having the same issues and our vet suspects hip issues... we are so upset.