Hound for novice owner Questions

Discussion in 'Hound Forum' started by k9paw, Nov 28, 2010.

1. k9paw

k9paw New Member

Name:
    H

Hound for novice owner

For many years I hoped to one day have an Irish Wolfhound here, sadly the person I knew, probably one of the most experienced with great knowledge of this breed is no longer with us:-( I love dogs, just love them, always have and hoped for a(large breed) hound especially eventually, Bloodhounds are lovely also(as are many). If were in a position to adopt a hound as a pup or rescue(older dog perhaps) what advice could anyone please give. Are there any on an 'endangered list' (think bloodhounds are or were) It is not something would go into without careful research, thought and planning
    Many thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. *SJ*

*SJ* New Member

Name:
    SJ
    Have you considered a Greyhound? There are many needing a good home and if you get one from the Retired Greyhound Trust you will get full back up support should you encounter any problems.
  4. suecurrie

suecurrie New Member

Name:
    Sue
    I would also say Greyhound.
  5. beattie

beattie New Member

Name:
    Linda
    Definately a greyhound, they make the most perfect companion. There are so many ex-racers looking for homes, please consider one.
  6. k9paw

k9paw New Member

Name:
    H
    Thankyou, I had thought about greyhounds in the past but have a small terrier x here now and greys we've encountered (to date) seem a tad too interested/keen? The Irish Wolfhounds we knew had Yorkshire Terriers living with them also, happily. There are quite a few rescued greys around here and did think about one before getting this rescue terrier.
  7. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    I'd agree. I think ex-racers make brilliant hound introductions. They're fantastic companions and there's so many looking for homes that there's bound to be one to match you perfectly :)
    Please still consider one even though you have a small terrier. A lot of ex-racers can coincide happily with small dogs and cats, there are lots of them who retired because of no interest in chasing. My Greyhound is fine with small dogs after a little bit of work, some don't even need that. If you take your terrier to the rescue you can see how the small-dog friendly ones get on :)
  8. TomtheLurcher

TomtheLurcher New Member

Name:
    Maureen
    I agree , go for a grey ours didnt eat the tiny JRT pup on our walk today !! Although seriously most rescues do small dog checks and try and match the hound with the home to ensure success !
  9. *SJ*

*SJ* New Member

Name:
    SJ

Don't let the fact you have a terrier put you off. I have five greyhounds a Springer Spaniel and a Jack Russell. All get on really well. You would just need to let the rehoming centre know you have a terrier and they will find you many dogs who could be suitable for you and your terrier to choose from.
  10. k9paw

k9paw New Member

Name:
    H
    Thanks for your replies, another factor which think might make a grey not suitable, we have two small furries that stay here sometimes so probably not the best idea. I have thought about fostering in the future also, which might be a good idea to start. Will definately look into it all further.
  11. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    Ooooh yes!! A greyhound is a must!!:mrgreen: There are plenty that live with small furries and the rescue will make sure you get one that's suitable.
    It's true what they say...once a grey owner always a grey owner. They are delightful dogs and so gentle and sweet. Can't recommend them highly enough!!:002:
  12. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    Yep i'd say a grey too, very low maintenance dogs, gentle and placid and not all are keen around small dogs (mine isn't) and some are ok with furries.
  13. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Some are great with small furries too. I saw pictures today of a Greyhound living with rats, dog was not obsessed. I'm sorry, I can't think of another breed to recommend...must be a Greyhound owner thing! ;)
  14. k9paw

k9paw New Member

Name:
    H
    Many thanks, you are all very passionate about your greys, and quite rightly so :)
  15. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Ha ha! Indeed we are! There will be a Grey out there suitable for small dogs and smnall furries - if you want a Grey that is...if you don't I'm sure there's another dog that will suit you...

Trying to think of other hounds I'd recommend. Urm, perhaps Dachund? Beagle or Bassett? I know nice 'easy' examples of these breeds and some not so...so it's pot luck. I know we've all said Greyhounds, but there is a reason ;) :)

Let us know what you decide, whatever it is, good luck! (And pictures are a must!)
  16. k9paw

k9paw New Member

Name:
    H
    Thankyou you're very kind, will let you know if a hound does find it's way here(might be a while yet):)
  17. 2Greys

2Greys New Member

Name:
    G
    I'm another greyhound fan, as a first time dog owner i adopted 2, my pair aren't cat friendly but fine with small dogs so very much down to the individual dog.
    You could also have a look at lurchers (sighthound x) as like the greys some in rescue are also deemed cat friendly so maybe ok with other furries and they often have pups in too. There are some fuzzy lurchers that have a sort of wolfhound look to them and a good rescue would make sure any dog your considering suits your capabilities & lifestyle. You could have a look at greyhound gap or lurcher link though there are a lot of other rescues.

If your really want a wolfhound perhaps contact the breed club and get more information as to its suitability. There is also a discover dogs section at crufts where you can meet different breeds & ask questions to those manning the stands.
  18. TomtheLurcher

TomtheLurcher New Member

Name:
    Maureen
    Or so the same as me and have a lurcher and a grey ! ;-)
  19. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    And me too!!!!:mrgreen:
  20. JIMMY LAW

JIMMY LAW New Member

Name:
    JIM
    As you are probably aware sight hounds and scent hounds are quite bit different in characteristics, my mum used to rehome ex racers in the 1980s so have had plenty of greys come through our house also we had an kennel in the garden for them and can highly recommend the breed, on the other hand i am a scent hound person, love my beagles, hard work, but worth it, what a great dog they are. I met a guy acouple of weeks ago and he had a fox hound, again they will be hard work but also a good natured dog. There are also otter hounds which i saw on the beach a few months ago and was talking to the owners and they only had good words about the breed and that is more up the large breed range. I am sure there must be a rescue for all pacific breeds, i also help out with home checks for the Beagle Welfare so i know they are about. Good luck in finding the breed for you.
  21. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    .. whippet :)