House Training Rescued Adult Westie Questions

Discussion in 'West Highland White Terrier' started by WilliamH4, Apr 19, 2019.

1. WilliamH4

WilliamH4 New Member

Name:
    William

House Training Rescued Adult Westie

We have had our rescued Westie for 5 days today (04/19/19). She's about 8 years old according the vet. She's only had 3 "accidents" since bringing her home (2 pee 1 poop). That was in the first day or so. I work from home so have the convenience of keeping her with me constantly and taking her our often. I'm guessing she was potty trained already, but not sure. Anyway, here's my question. We're supposed to attend my brother-in-law's birthday celebration this evening. I'm guessing the event will last 3 hours. I told my wife she should go on to the birthday celebration without me so I could stay with Daisy. I am concerned Daisy might potty in the house and we would potentially lose any progress. Of course, I got the 3rd degree for suggesting I should stay home, LOL. What about keeping her in our small, tiled half bath? I could keep the door open and just block with a baby gate. I really don't want to give her unattended, full access to our home (not yet).
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Chris B likes this.
    That sounds like a really good excuse for getting out of it.
    (Sorry, I'm not very PC).

Your Westie could possibly have an accident due to being left alone for the first time in your home. I don't think this will permanently set her training back though. Make sure that she is warm, and can snuggle up comfortably while you are away. Put some old towels down, just in case. Leave a radio on so she can hear some background music or voices.