Housebreaking Training

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Bob Ward, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Bob Ward

Bob Ward New Member

Name:
    Bob

Housebreaking

We are going through the trauma of your typical 12 week old JRT male puppy. Take him out for 30 minutes + and bring him back in and he will pee on the floor. Not always in the same spot. Same with poop. He just seems to have his wires reversed.

We have an outdoor dog who is only a few months older and has similar hyperactivity to the JRT. They play well together, I do make the older dog go away while trying to get the JRT to do his business.

Although I have tried not to do the older housebreaking methods of rubbing his nose in it and putting him in time out in cage. I am not sure what to do. I had 2 JRTs previously so I am not totally new. I am just frustrated and my wife (who is new to the dog world) is very frustrated.

Thoughts?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Bob Ward likes this.
    Sorry but I think you are expecting too much from a 12 week puppy. Depending on how much house training his breeder gave him, he is hardly old enough to have grasped the idea that he needs to learn to hold his urine yet.
    Far better to be prepared to stay outside with him until he does go, and really reward him for getting it right. Learn to read his body language, and weight the chances in your favour by giving him the opportunity to go outside after every sleep, meal or drink - and whenever you see him sniffing around the edges of the room. Clean all areas that he has soiled with a biological product, to remove any reminder that he has used that area before.
  4. Bob Ward

Bob Ward New Member

Name:
    Bob

Thanks for posting!

I guess the main part I left out of my post was that for the first 5-6 days after we got him he did pretty good, then went Topsy turvey. My wife stayed out with him for nearly an hour this morning and then he peed as soon as she brought him in. I hear you, we will get it done!
  5. Bob Ward

Bob Ward New Member

Name:
    Bob
    CaroleC likes this.
    We got this sorted by buying a leash and harness to control his movements until he does his business, then we can let him run free and play with our other pup!