How big should I expect my American Akita to weigh at 2? Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Derek Hawkins, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Derek Hawkins

Derek Hawkins New Member

Name:
    Artemis

How big should I expect my American Akita to weigh at 2?

image.jpg Hey everyone I have American Akita he is 19 months and weighs 84.4 I just weighed him. I feed him Canadae boar raw coated food and he gets average exercise. I wanted to know what weight he will finish growing around?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Hi Derek
    Your boy looks In great condition, it’s easy for Akitas ( as with any breed ) to become overweight.
    What were his parents like ?
    Philippa
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Rugby1983 likes this.
    Hello, welcome to you and your handsome Akita to Breedia, from Tikva and me :039:

I do not know anything about Akitas [Breedia has some Akita experts but I am not one of them!] so hopefully the experts will come along to help you!

I am not sure what you are feeding your boy on as from what I have found it is a form of kibble. I am a raw feeder and do not know anything about kibble, so I am sorry but I cannot help you there either.

Ah, but your boy really is handsome!

Juli
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    There's no way to know an exact weight , what is ideal weight for a dog as far as a number goes is going to change depending on the individual dogs build, bone structure, fat to muscle ratio, etc. It’s best to go by condition and not focus on a numbers.
  6. Derek Hawkins

Derek Hawkins New Member

Name:
    Artemis
    I never got to see his parents I have their AKC information but I dot know how to go about looking them up if I can even do that.
  7. Derek Hawkins

Derek Hawkins New Member

Name:
    Artemis
    This is what I feed both my dogs.

Attached Files:

8. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    My semi-uneducated guess is he won’t gain much more weight, maybe 5-10 more lbs. Do you know how much he’s gained in the past month or two? Akitas can vary a lot in weight. My first one was 120+ lbs and my current male goes between 80-83 lbs and just turned two. I’d recommend keeping your dog on the thinner side as opposed to the thicker/chunkier/fatter side... Sometimes when someone tells me how much their or their friends old Akita weighed I often think they are exaggerating or just lying to sound impressive or the dog was very overweight. Your boy looks healthy and not overweight!!
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am not sure what they mean by "Freeze-dried, Raw Coated" but even though I am a raw feeder I do keep some Freeze-dried raw food for emergencies, and that looks quite interesting. But at least you should be able to check all the ingredients on the back of the pack, and if it says [for example] one cup of food and two cups of water, leave for 15 minutes for the food to hydrate - if it is anything like the products I keep in stock for emergencies, then that, is, IMO better than kibble.

But please do not take what I say as the correct food. As I say, I am a raw feeder and only keep freeze-dried raw food for emergencies. And that is because I can check exactly what goes into that food and I trust my suppliers.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Canidae appears to be a excellent quality dog food. At £159 for 24 lbs in the UK. It jolly well should be!
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Strange. That is the price that Amazon was quoting. Have just looked on All About Dog Food and they seem to have a similar but not identical Canidae product at £59 for 10k. Confusing business buying dog food.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    If that is freeze-dried raw food you really cannot go by the dry weight, as it has to be hydrated before being fed. So 24lb dry weight is far more than 24lb of kibble.

The most important thing is the contents of the food. I do not think I have ever bothered about price.

The two brands of freeze-dried raw food I keep for emergencies have every content listed, with the percentages of each. Meat of some kind, vegetables and fruit. Grain free and no added nasties. Just what it says on the packages. There is no way I would feed it, even in an emergency, unless I was 100% satisfied with it.

As I say I keep this for emergencies, should Tikva have to be looked after and they cannot cope with her raw feeding, not that, thank crunchie, it has happened, but I have given it to her on rare occasions when I was, tbh, to ill to cope with sorting our her evening meal.