How do you go about creating a new breed? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by pitboy, Nov 29, 2012.

1. pitboy

pitboy New Member

Name:
    sahnsahn

How do you go about creating a new breed?

was up dogsey i allways wondered if i wanted to
    creat my own breed what are the chances and how long whould it even take ?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    You would need to have a lot of money & space for starters then lots of time maybe around 40 to 60 years to create a new breed that can produce healthy, well tempered dogs that produce offspring that closely resemble their parents.

Not too sure why anyone would need to create a new breed as there are already over 200 breeds of dogs
  4. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    As Dyane has said, not without a lot of hard work, dedication, time and money! Least not if you do it properly anyway.

Not to mention the heart-ache and problems associated with Rescues already full to the brim.

I would much rather see breeders work on existing breeds to make them healthier and fitter.
  5. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    here's how one man created the Cesky Terrier ( now recognised by the Kc , the FCI and the AKC. )

Note his clear aims on how the dogs should look and behave and the very close line breeding ( mother/son, brother/sister ) that was used to fix type in the early years.

http://www.ceskyterrier.co.uk/section214985.html
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    A interesting read, thanks for that.
  7. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    The Cesky was developed over 60 years ago & back then it was quite acceptable to breed very close relations together & also to cull the offspring ruthlessly(& yes I do mean cull as in kill)& to be able to keep all the offspring to see how they develop
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    And I think this is why creating "new breeds" in todays world simply does not work, for all the reasons you say and what is in the article.

As we see in the Doodles , and such of the world.

To create a breed one has to have a vision, and to achieve that vision, one has to be focused on how one gets to the end result.

Inbreeding and culling is not acceptable today, and unless you can control the breeding to such a tight degree, you will end up with a mix match of what we see today, in the so called "new breeds" no consistency,

A breed has to breed to type for many many yrs before its given status .
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    As an example the Russian Black Terrier was developed in the 40/50`s ( think) and was only recognized as a breed by the FCI in 1984 , when said breed would have been in its infancy, culling and inbreeding would have played a huge part in its development, as with ALL breeds we know today.

A point of interest, has there been any newer breeds recognized since the RBT ??
  10. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Not sure.....

The Slovak RHP was recognized a year before that in 1983.
  11. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

I wondered about that one too, but I think that gained recognition before the BRT ???

Will have to take a look :017:
  13. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    The BRT , gained recognition by the FCI in 1984, followed by the ACK

The Eurasier]recognized by the FCI in 1973..

Found this on Wikipedia, so may not be 100% accurate :017:
  14. Valdf

Valdf New Member

Name:
    Val
    That's right about the Eurasier, Jackie.

Val